any good fishing?

It's tough, even dangerous...and fun
Kevin McKay
Choose the middle number: 1

any good fishing?

Postby Kevin McKay » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:24 am

My buddy is heading out there to see his dad, he is really into the stripers back here in Maine and wants to get into some salt fish on his fly rod. He will be in Carlsbad, can you give hime some places to try? my email is admin@maineflyfish.com, thanks for any help

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:54 am

Kevin, I think your buddy may be out of luck. I'm not aware of any significant striper fishery in Southern California. He might want to instead schedule some time in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta. Initial contacts could include Kiene's Fly Shop in Sacramento (www.kiene.com) or Fish First! in Albany.

Kevin McKay

thanks

Postby Kevin McKay » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:34 am

Thanks but he is looking for any fish as long as it is in the salt :wink:

Bud
Site Admin
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: thanks

Postby Bud » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:52 pm

Kevin McKay wrote:Thanks but he is looking for any fish as long as it is in the salt :wink:

Kevin--

Three words: surfperch, halibut, corbinas. Have him Google each along with "Southern California." That's the principal fare in the surf there, and each can be quite a hoot on a fly rod. We've published a lot on these topics, but alas, it's not available on-line.

However, also search this site (using the "Search" function above) for JPSheton--capped thus, no spaces. He's the author of a lot of out SoCal saltwater stuff, and he's posted a lot here, including fishing the bays for other species.

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. And inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
--Marx (Groucho)

PFFlyer

so. cal salt

Postby PFFlyer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:44 am

:D thanks guys and gals, Peter here, Kevin was trying to get some info for Carlsbad area salt for my Dad and I. I will be traveling from Maine. Looks like Oceanside in the harbor off the rocks and behind the hotel, carlsbad lagoon and both inlet and outlet for possoble halibut, and surf off the rocks for perch and corvina, steelhead@fishsniffer.com from up north a bit has some good tips also the paralell your advice, looks like 3 rods and gear, son father and beers at the beach, thanks to all for your help. Looks like I need a sand crab pattern as well. OUT PFFlyer

Return to “Saltwater”