Bass

The low-down on lakes
bluegillslayer7.62
Choose the middle number: 1

Bass

Postby bluegillslayer7.62 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:36 pm

can anyone tell me the best line setup for fishing bass poppers or bass streamers???

David Lee

Postby David Lee » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:44 pm

For poppers , i'd go with a short head (30 feet) floater . Most streamers I throw go on a type 4 shooting head or clear I line . Let us know how it goes . David

Bill Kiene

Postby Bill Kiene » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:50 am

David is right on here, as usual.

I like to take a 9' #6 or #7 rod and go one size over with a bass bug tarper weight forward floating line.

The line size is determined by the size 'bugs' you want to throw. today, many are using smaller bugs with lighter rods like 5 and 6 weights. If you are say in the Delta and you are throwing large hairbugs and it is windy you might want an 8 weight rod with a WF9F bass bug taper.

You can tie up simple 3 piece leaders out of stiffer mono or you can just buy a 7 1/2' 0x knotless tapered leader. Look for one that have a larger ~.026" butt so they will turn over your bass bug easier. In a fly shop ask which tapered leaders are stiffer.

I like the last hour or so after the sun gets off the water in the spring, summer or fall on top with hairbugs or poppers. I guess I am spoiled becuase I like to see them 'blow up' on my 'bug'.
Bill Kiene - semi-retired
Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company
Sacrmento, CA
http://www.kiene.com
billkiene@kiene.com
800/400-0359

Stan Wright

Re: Bass

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:55 am

Have you tried that Sage, Largemouth rod? It comes with a fly line.
I got a 30# test piece of mono... twisted 2/3 of it together and tied it off.
That gives me about 3 1/2 feet of double line (60#) and 3 1/2 to 4 feet of single line (30#)
Turns over pretty good.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story".

Buster
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Bass

Postby Buster » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:17 pm

I have not tried the Sage bass combo,but I recently bought the TFO mini mag combo 10 wt for $299. I did upgrade the line with Rio outbound short. I have only used it at the casting ponds but so far I love it!

Return to “Stillwater”