JACKSON LAKE

The low-down on lakes
Eric
Choose the middle number: 1

JACKSON LAKE

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:23 am

GUYS I WILL BE FLY FISH JACKSON LAKE IN MY FLOAT TUBE FOR THE FIRST TIME.. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT DRY FLYS TO USE? RIGHT NOW I AM NOT SET UP WITH SINKING LINE SO WET FLYS R OUT... SO MUCH TO LEARN AND WHAT FUN IT WILL BE!!!!!!
ERIC
P/S JACKSON LAKE IS OFF 138 BY WRIGHTWOOD...
Be safe and good luck

Curt

Postby Curt » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:54 pm

i've always thought of jackson lake as a pb dunkers lake. i'd try nymphing it. you can always use a split shot to get a wet fly down. i used one to get my woolly bugger down. it was tied with no weight and too much hackle. try the bugger too. :wink:

let us know how you do.

Curt

Postby Curt » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:43 pm

so, Eric,

how did you do?

Eric

JACKSON LAKE

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:51 pm

curt never made it up to jackson, things came up.. and this last weekend i was fishing the opener at convict.. the lake was a bust but had a lot of fun fishing convict creek.
will head up to jackson this coming sunday... will post a report..i think they will stock jackson this week.
Eric
Be safe and good luck

SoCalFF

Postby SoCalFF » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:46 am

Hi Eric,
I've float tubed Jackson Lake a few times in the past since it is only a 15 minute drive away from my home in Wrightwood/Phelan area. I'd suggest you take a look at the LA Times Outdoor section on Friday's to see if the Dept of F&G planted trout in it or not that week. If they do plant it the lake looks like the Sierra Opener on Lake Crowley on Saturday! I've used floating line with a 9' leader and a beaded head wooly bugger or a weighted wooly bugger in the past, and I've done real well. There are also carp and bluegill in the lake. Good-luck!

Curt

Postby Curt » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:41 pm

if you can't wait to read the paper, check out the dfg site

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishplant/index.html

los angeles is in the south region.

looks like a plant this week. funny considering it sooooo damn hot today.

good luck

Eric

thanks!!!!

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:20 pm

guys thanks for the info.. what color wolly bugger do u recommend. i'll post a report on how it goes...
Eric
Be safe and good luck

Eric

no luck

Postby Eric » Wed May 05, 2004 8:22 am

i had no luck fly fishing jackson lake... tried the wolly bugger and wet flys.. will give it another try in a couple of weeks.. another guy fly fishing only caught one using a san juan worm... i ended up using my spinning rod and a orange lip ripperZ worm and caught over 30 rainbows...i have a question . is it still fly fishing if i would cast thatt lip ripperZ worm with my fly pole ? :?:
Eric
Be safe and good luck

Curt

Postby Curt » Wed May 05, 2004 11:26 am

is there a fly that looks like a rigged liripperz? i would think that the san juan worm looks pretty close.

what color bugger did you use? maybe try one that's closer to orange. also how were you fishing the bugger compared to the lipripperz.

you have to adapt your presentation to meet what's working. i like flyfishing the city lakes during the winter for stocked trout when i cant make time to get out into the mountains. sometimes drifting midges work, sometimes i have to strip it and get some movement. somtimes stripping streamer, buggers, or mini jigs work.

that's all part of the fun of it. one technique doesn't work all the time and varying will help you learn to be an effective flyfisher.

i am not saying that i know it all but that's just been my experience and i'm still learning. i've only picked up flyfishing in the last couple of years. i admit, i used to be a bait dunker. but flyfishing has been more rewarding and fun than tossing out pb or bait.

just one man's opinion and advice. any other ideas to help out eric?

good luck....

clark24
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: JACKSON LAKE

Postby clark24 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:27 am

Great location...small, pretty lake. Fairly light use even on an extremely hot summer weekend. Parking lot is shaded as are picnic table and lots of shady areas for sunbathing. Parking does require an Adventure Pass.
fgjfvjkjk

Return to “Stillwater”