Favorite Float Tube

The low-down on lakes
DaveC
Choose the middle number: 1

Favorite Float Tube

Postby DaveC » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:07 pm

I borrowed a friend's Caddis open front float tube to fish Paradise Reservior on the Owens River. It was a really neat experience. My only complaint is that I kept slouching forward and off the mesh seat, and I had to keep hitching myself back upright. Is it a matter of technique, or is this typical?

I'm considering the purchase of an U-shaped or pontoon style float tube, but I'd like people with more experience to offer their opinions about brands or styles.

Thanks!

SoCalFF

Postby SoCalFF » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:45 pm

Hi Dave C!
I been using the Outcast Super Fat Cat for three years now and feel it's the finest float tube on the market! It's made of high quality materials and built to last. The V-shape cuts through water better than the U-shaped float tubes. Because you sit higher in this float tube you stay warmer and drier too! You can also take a cooler with you as it sits nicely behind your backrest. Just a few features that you should consider before buying a float tube. Good-luck!

KeithBigBear

Favorite Float Tube

Postby KeithBigBear » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:04 pm

I currently have 6 float tubes ranging from the Old Caddis donut type to Hobie Float Cats to the pontoon type with oars. I have an Outcast Super Fat Cat & Outcast Fish Cat (old style) I have the ones that you sit low & ones that you sit high & dry. The high & dry ones are fine for warmth but have a disadvantage in a brisk wind in that your upper body acts like a sail & you have to "tack" them like a sailboat. I fish lakes & backpack into lakes in Eastern Sierras. I guide so from a guides point of view I offer the following. First you need to decide what most of your fishing will be. Will you be doing any hiking or just driving to most of the areas that you will fish without doing much hiking. If I had only 1 tube to choose from I'd go with the Outcast Super Fat Cat or the new Outcast Fish Cat 4 for $139. They sit you high enough out of the water for warmth but not high enough to have to "tack" it. They come with backpack straps & can be easily loaded with your waders, fins & gear & not kill you while hiking. A lot of the shops are using the new Fish Cat 4's as rentals so that should tell you something. I'm buying a new Fish Cat 4 next month for personal use. Hope this helps, email me if you have any other ?'s Float that tube!!!

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:09 am

Thank you for the info. I just ordered a Trout Unlimited Togiak. It seems to have a lot of the same features as the Outcast Fat/Fishcats. Like I said, I've only used a Caddis for comparison, but I'll let you know how I like the Togiak after I use it.

KeithBigBear

Postby KeithBigBear » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:21 pm

Dave, I apologize, I just saw your question about Big Bear. Best to float tube to get to the good spots and away from the shore guys. The lake patrol requires a lake permit, $5/day or $25 for a year permit. They carry permits on the boat and you can't and wouldn't want to go outside the 5 mph bouys. If you come up send me an email.....K

Chip Obrien

Postby Chip Obrien » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:41 am

Outcast Super Fat Cat, hands down!

Buster
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Favorite Float Tube

Postby Buster » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Outcast fat super fat cat.

Return to “Stillwater”