Russ Peak fly rods

Have some fly fishing gear you don't need any longer? Feel free to post it here!
Chip Obrien
Choose the middle number: 1

Russ Peak fly rods

Postby Chip Obrien » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:57 am

I own three Russ Peak fly rods I haven't fished in years, and I wouldn't mind selling them. All are graphite, but I recollect some may have boron tip sections. (Russ liked to mix medias to get a particular action.) I have no idea of the value. All are in good/excellent condition. Can anyone help? Make me an offer-

1. Zenith #15187, 8'1" 2 1/4oz. for 5-6-7 lines, 4-piece
(Russ made a mistake in measuring the length. It's really 8'6")
Name on rod: Francis J. O'Brien

2. Zenith #15158, 9' 3 3/4oz. for 6-7-8 lines, 2-piece
Name on rod: Chip O'Brien
- Original tube has a dent in it made by United Airlines on trip to the Bighorn. No rod damage.

3. Zenith #15155, 8'1" 2 1/4oz. for 3-4-5 lines, 2-piece
Name on rod: Chip O'Brien - The finish on this rod is slightly damaged.

Chip O'Brien

JC

Russ Peak Rods

Postby JC » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:47 am

Chip,

You need to do some research on the internet and look for collectible fishing tackle books in book stores/libraries. From what I read, your rods may be consider collectibles these days. Before you sell them, do your homework first. It may be worth some decent money, or it may not (individual rod that is).

This is what I found:

"The value of fishing collectibles depends on several factors including demand, desirability and scarcity. Defects such as cracking and rust lessen the value of rods. Most of the later fiberglass models are fairly inexpensive except for those issued by Russ Peak, Winston and select models by Orvis."

Let us know what you found from your search. Try this book, "Old Fishing Lures and Tackle" written by Carl Luckley, published by Krause Publications for starters. Don't buy the book, just check with your local public library/book store if one is available for a look through. It could point you in the right direction.

JC

Chip Obrien
Choose the middle number: 1

Postby Chip Obrien » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:25 am

Thanks JC. I'll hit the books and see what I find out.

chip

JC

Give Us Report

Postby JC » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:50 pm

Chip,

It's always better to be an informed seller and/or buyer. You always hear someone bought an antique painting or whatever at a garage sale that is worth six figures for a buck. It's a shame for someone who owns the items to have to take such a huge loss because of ignorance. Much of that could be minimized if one does a little research and digging. With the free flow of information on the internet and books these days, it's not that difficult.

Well, life is a constant schooling, never too late to learn something new. :D

JC

toniswokej
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Russ Peak fly rods

Postby toniswokej » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:31 am

i do agree that the value of fishing collectibles depends on several factors including demand, desirability and scarcity because i had that one. Defects such as cracking and rust lessen the value of rods. Most of the later fiberglass models are fairly inexpensive except for those issued by Russ Peak, Winston and select models by Orvis. Homelite Chainsaw Parts

Return to “For Sale”