Truckee River Snapshot Day

Saving our sportfish and their habitats
Huck Ferrill
Choose the middle number: 1

Truckee River Snapshot Day

Postby Huck Ferrill » Thu May 13, 2004 8:56 am

May 22, 2004. This is a one day monitoring of water quality, all over the Truckee Basin, coordinated by the Truckee River Watershed Council, and executed entirely by volunteers. Just finished my team leader training last nite, and I'm really pumped to participate!
They MAY need some more volunteers. If anyone is interested, contact Beth Christman, Program Manager, Truckee River Watershed Council, 530-550-8760.
Richard, was that your name I saw next to the Martis Creek monitoring site? I'll be REAL interested in the results from that one.

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Fri May 14, 2004 8:26 am

Yep, that was my name, Huck. Over the last three years I've taken samples during Snapshot Day just up from where Martis Creek hits the lake. This year, we're going to take a sample closer to the Lahontan subdivision.

See you on the 22nd! And hey, which streams are you doing?

-Richard

Huck Ferrill

Postby Huck Ferrill » Fri May 14, 2004 1:48 pm

Is any of Martis Cr. ABOVE Lahontan? If so, a sampling up there might be interesting when compared to a sample below. Any bets on changes in levels of dissolved nitrogen and phosphorous compounds? :-)
I left stream assignment open with Beth, but I suspect she'll have me on one of the main stems someplace, 'cause I'm big enough to handle some of those flows if necessary (plus, fat floats).
I'm sure looking forward to participating. This will be my first time.
See ya there!

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Fri May 14, 2004 5:07 pm

Much of the creek above Lahontan flows through private property. Lahontan does its own quarterly sampling, and the data I've seen doesn't seem to indicate the development is having an effect on the stream -- although frankly I haven't yet seen their data from samples taken during stormwater periods, and one has to ask whether quarterly sampling during non-storm events is sufficient to capture nutrient mobilization from golf course irrigation.

-Richard

Huck Ferrill

Postby Huck Ferrill » Mon May 17, 2004 8:35 am

Yeah, I didn't think of stormwater runoff. Rather I was thinking in sort of continuum terms (maybe erroneously). I suspect more frequent sampling would be helpful, particularly Spring/Summer. Has nutrient loading been documented in Martis Res.?

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon May 17, 2004 1:30 pm

Eutrophication has been documented at Martis Creek Reservoir, and nutrient loading might be the cause. There's some evidence (albeit scant) that the lake has been eutrophic since the late seventies. The issue I'd like to see addressed is whether development upstream is increasing the rate of nutrient loading.

Huck Ferrill

Postby Huck Ferrill » Mon May 17, 2004 2:44 pm

Re: Nutrient loading from development.
That indeed, is the big issue, particularly with the county's amending the general plan, to allow more building. I wonder if there's any baseline data collected before Lahontan was built?

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon May 17, 2004 3:43 pm

Some pre-development data was apparently collected for the section of Martis Creek that flows through Lahontan, but I haven't seen it. At any rate, post-development water-quality data has quite a few "non-detect" values -- meaning the concentrations of various pollutants were less than the lab could measure. I've run my own statistical tests on some of the numbers, but couldn't find any significant differences btwn sampling stations. Of course, the issue that comes up here is whether quarterly monitoring is adequate (a point I think I mentioned above in the thread).

I haven't yet seen the data for samples taken during storm events, as the developer isn't releasing 'em to me, and the water board wants to charge a dime or more for each photocopied page, which can get, well, expensive. But there's a chance it may become available as part of the public record once Placer County's Martis Valley comprehensive water quality monitoring program enters the SPAM stage....

Huck Ferrill

Postby Huck Ferrill » Tue May 18, 2004 9:30 am

Personally, I doubt that quarterly monitoring is sufficient, but that's a very subjective opinion. If you think about it, it's possible that a single major stormwater event could result in major nutrient loading downstream (the reservoir), while monitoring the remainder of any given year could result in no significant data. I wonder how one deals with that?
Dumb question maybe, but how many pages of data do you suppose exist? I'll kick in some $, if necessary.

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Tue May 18, 2004 9:36 am

Huck, I don't know how many pages there are, but let's wait on spending the moolah -- my guess is that all this stuff will be released to the public sometime in the near future.

See you Saturday.

-Richard

Huck Ferrill

Postby Huck Ferrill » Tue May 18, 2004 1:16 pm

Sounds good. Suddenly, I'm finding myself WAY behind the learning curve. Just tryin' to catch up....
Saturday it is. Looking forward to it.

Return to “The Good Fight”