Draft Beer to Go

If you gotta jaw about something (or nothing) in particular....
Richard
Site Admin
Choose the middle number: 1

Draft Beer to Go

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:52 am

I was on a fishing trip a few years back and a friend brought along a jug -- literally a jug -- of draft beer from a microbrewery near his home. The stuff was a hit (which means I'm sorry to report that we weren't able to determine how long it'd take for the beer to go flat). Frankly, I enjoy beer from bottles, and I enjoy beer from cans, but I especially enjoy beer from a tap. So here's the question: which breweries in California sell draft beer to go in containers small enough to pack on fishing trip?

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Sun May 23, 2004 4:42 pm

When I was a encyclopedia in Arizona the legal drinking age was 19. Consequently, you could always count on a college freshman somewhere nearby having a keg party. Those of us who were "thrifty" would show up with an empty Miracle Whip or Skippy peanut butter jar, and when it was time to leave we'd top it off and screw on the lid for later consumption. Perhaps I ought to see whether the bartender at my favorite local microbrewerey -- the Crown City Brewery in Pasadena -- would fill up a an empty 1 gallon milk jug for me!

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Sun May 23, 2004 7:46 pm

Hmmm. Not a bad idea, Dave!

Jimbo

Beer by the "jug"

Postby Jimbo » Mon May 24, 2004 12:21 pm

Richard,

I'm unsure if the chain extends to your area (I'm unsure where you are located, for that matter). But, if you are ever in So. Cal there is a brewery called BJ's that sells beer by gallon bottles. I'm fortunate enough to have one on the way home from the office. Well... maybe it is a detriment now that I think about it :P .

They have a beer called “Tatanka” (stout) like the buffalo in the Kevin Costner report Dances with Wolves. It is my favorite, but it is about 9% and will sneak up an kick your but if you don’t watch out. The Blonde (ale) is good too. Not as strong either.

Anyway... I have another post on this board asking for help on how to fish the Yuba. I’m headed up to do some work and plan on mixing in some fishing. Not nessasarily in that order either. I should be up there late this week, or maybe next (problems on the job make me unsure of exactly when). If you are anywhere near Grass Valley while I’m in the area, I’d be happy to drop you off a gallon, and honored to meet you in person. Maybe wet a fly too. It’s up to you.

If it sounds good, let me know and we can work out the details.

Jimbo

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon May 24, 2004 6:38 pm

Jimbo, thanks for the offer, but I'm not likely to get to Grass Valley any time soon. :cry:

Jimbo

By the Jug

Postby Jimbo » Tue May 25, 2004 7:55 am

Oh well. I sas looking forward to meeting you and tipping one up.

Jimbo

mbbishop

beer

Postby mbbishop » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:54 pm

Richard,

Sierra Nevada BRewing Co. in Chico (I think) and River City Brewing Co. in downtown Sac. used to do that. RC used to call it "the city bloc." But they don't anymore--liability issue with their lawyers. No kidding, I used to work for them and my brother-in-law designed the packaging and name.

But...the Old Stonehouse brewery in Nevada City is back open and under new owners. Rumor is that they are thinking about doing something like this.

Sure Nevada City/Grass Valley isn't too far away? :wink:

By the way, my friend has a micro brewers license and has just moved all of his equipment and himself back to Grass Valley. He started making a Whit Beer (Belgium white ale). So, maybe you'll be able to do this soon.

Matt

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:42 am

Thanks for the updates, Matt. Nope, Nevada City and Grass Valley aren't too far away when in search of good brew. Especially considering wheat beer is one of my favorite summer beverages. Keep me posted on when your friend goes commercial. :D

Swill D. Beers

Brewpubs

Postby Swill D. Beers » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:39 pm

Most micro breweries will sell their beer in some kind of a re-fillable conatiner, usually 1 gallon or so. It's kind of part of the business. Just ask and they will probably have something for you. If they don't they are in the minority.

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:39 am

Any such microbreweries in the Auburn/Grass Valley/Nevada City area?

Swill D. Beers

Postby Swill D. Beers » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:53 pm

Off hand I can think of two that do offer to-go containers (sometimes called 'growlers'). Beerman's brewery in Lincoln is a locally-owned establishment in a very cool, old building with eclectic decorations. They're all about brewing beer and they make some good stuff including good food. BJ's in Roseville is a newer place and a chain-type brew pub but they do have some pretty decent beer and food. Nice talent too. As for Grass Valley and Nevada City, I'm not familiar with any. Maybe mbishop or Ralph would know. I'm sure they've both looked into the topic.

Swill D. Beers

New Brew Pub

Postby Swill D. Beers » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:22 am

Auburn has a new brew pub - The Auburn Ale House. The historic old Shanghai Bar closed a few years ago and a couple local guys bought it, renovated it and turned it into an upscale eatery and brewery. The beers are quite good and everything is relatively affordable. They also have growlers to go.

K.Hanley

Postby K.Hanley » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:13 am

Brother Rich and B-board members......
"Buffalo Bill's Brew Pub" down in Hayward has draft-to-go. :D Great stuff indeed! I hope everyone has been enjoying the holiday season.
Cheers to 2008, Ken

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Great suggestion, Ken. My impression, too, is that Buffalo Bill's is one of the first brewpubs in California -- if, in fact, not THE first.

K.Hanley

Postby K.Hanley » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:53 am

I remember when they opened back in the 80's. I was a student at Cal State Hayward so that made it easy to spend a "fair amount of time at Buffalo Bill's studying." OK, ok, ok, so I didn't study much. I love that stout that they serve. The place has always been a fun pub with excellent brew. We should make time to go there when you come down for the shows. :D

Here's a little something off their website..........
"But the law changed in early 1983, giving brew pubs the green light to draft their own beer on the premises. Owens, a pioneer in the early brewpub movement, poured himself into making his dream a reality, and opened Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward California. It would be the second oldest brewpub in the country (the first had opened just a couple of weeks earlier), and the oldest in the Bay Area."

Pretty cool stuff.
Cheers, Ken

Return to “Around the Campfire”