San Gabriel River

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
streamcaster
Choose the middle number: 1

San Gabriel River

Postby streamcaster » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:31 am

I'm coming to So. Cal next week, and want to fish the SGR. Is either the West or East Fork fishable in early September? What should I use?

Thanks! The best to you each morning!
Peter
It's not how big a fish you can catch, but how small a fish, and still be happy.

dryflyin
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: San Gabriel River

Postby dryflyin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Both forks are very fishable year round. I slightly prefer the West Fork, and if you're willing to hike a mile or two, you can get into it's catch and release section (above the second bridge crossing). There is a paved road alongside the West Fork, which is mostly closed to all vehicles. The East Fork requires hiking a dirt path that fords the river several times.

The San Gabriel River is within easy reach of LA's millions of denizens. Expect to find plenty of crowds and litter. The San Gabriel River West Fork Conservancy has been very active this year, so at least the trash is less out of control on the West Fork.

On both forks, the further you hike, the better it gets.

gunwonk

Postby gunwonk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:22 am

I was up on the West Fork last weekend and it was beautiful. It was my first time fly fishing and I went with a class from Huntington Beach. Chuck our instructor did a wonderful job introducing us to the art and science of fly fishing.

The water was very low and the fish simply were not biting, but the West Fork was beautiful and clean. No crowds, other than the Boy Scouts heading off to camp.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which flies are most productive on the West Fork?

Thanks!

dryflyin

Postby dryflyin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 pm

For flies, I find darker patterns most productive. Bead headed prince nymphs and copper johns work well. On the surface, classic elk hair caddis and Griffith's gnats have been successful for me.

Rexroad

Postby Rexroad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Has anyone been up there(West Fork) to fish recently? 9/2013? Im looking to put my fly rod to use for the first time ever ASAP and am researching areas to try out. I have been to the East Fork, hiked it quite a bit, and wouldnt say its a fishermans dream exactly, but I also havent been too far in, only 5 miles or so. Thanks!

Bob Cobb

Postby Bob Cobb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:12 pm

I fished the west fork this morning and it was extremely slow. I spotted a couple fish but didn't land anything. The water level was terribly low. Hopefully after the next couple of days of predicted rain, let keep our fingers crossed, the river will gain a little more traction.

catchreleaseonly

Postby catchreleaseonly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Bob Cobb wrote:I fished the west fork this morning and it was extremely slow. I spotted a couple fish but didn't land anything. The water level was terribly low. Hopefully after the next couple of days of predicted rain, let keep our fingers crossed, the river will gain a little more traction.

I was there aboiut 1 month ago. Low water, only fish were in deep spots and very skittish.

Return to “Southern California”