Smoking Fish

If you gotta jaw about something (or nothing) in particular....
Jimbo
Choose the middle number: 1

Smoking Fish

Postby Jimbo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:01 pm

I love smoked fish. Usually the salt water variety, but sometimes the stockers that I take out of Silver Lake (Mammoth area).

Usually I use walnut, oak, apple etc. to smoke with. I use the chips that I generate while turning bowls, rolling pins and the like. Fun hobby stuff. The lathe produces the best saw dust for smoking. It produces lots of smoke. Better than the chunks that you buy at the store.

Last week I got a hold of some green olive burl. It is beyond beautiful.

Ok, all that for the big question. Has any one ever heard of using olive to smoke with?

Second question. Does anyone have a favorite brine that they would like to share with the group around the "campfire"?

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Tue May 10, 2005 4:24 pm

Jimbo, I don't have a clue about smoking fish using olive wood. In fact, I don't have a clue about smoking fish, period, but it's something I've been meaning to do for years. Given I'm an utter novice, what sort of smoker do you recommend?

Troutgetter

Postby Troutgetter » Tue May 24, 2005 11:49 am

Jimbo,
It's been some time since I've smoked any fish, it's hard to get the Zig Zag around them :roll: , but I used to use a ready mixed brine. I stpooed using that a long time ago and started using an Italian dressing to soak prior to smoking.
I am thinking of using my Carne Asada brew to smoke with next time.
Mike
PS, I would think Olive wood be a great wood to smoke with, lots of oil in it, very fragrant as well.

aikido007

Postby aikido007 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:03 pm

I use the "Big Chief" smoker by Luhr Jensen, basically it's a big tin box with six racks over a hot plate where you put your wood chips in. I use either apple or misquite or hickory. Works great for trout and salmon

As far as brine goes the Big Chief comes with a recipe book. I make one with 2 cups teriyaki sause, 1 cup dry white wine, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup water, little bit of tobasco, little bit pepper, onion power, some Ms Dashes seasoning and soem Worchestershire sause. Soak trout fillets or salmon chunks over night. Pat dry place in smoker for about 3-6 hours for trout 4-7 hours salmon (depending on thickness) Use about 2 tray of chips and that's it.

Jewell
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Smoking Fish

Postby Jewell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:16 am

Hey there,
I have never heard of using olive to smoke with... I love smoked fish but I'm the worst cook on the planet :(

IPManthefisherman

Postby IPManthefisherman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Olive s an excellent wood for smoking. It provides a sweet, black pepper flavoring to your fish meats. Try blending it with an apple wood or anything Oak!

Buster

Postby Buster » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:53 pm

I use apple or alder to smoke fish. I make a brine of soy, brown sugar, sake, kind of thing. I have it written down some where?

Return to “Around the Campfire”