Antron or poly yarn - do they "float"?

Having fun with fur and feathers (and Flashabou, and cork, and...)
DaveC
Choose the middle number: 1

Antron or poly yarn - do they "float"?

Postby DaveC » Mon May 03, 2004 3:18 pm

Do any of the synthetic yarns such as antron or polypropylene have any inherent floatation properties? I heard that these yarns have a specific gravity that is lower than water and will float on their own, but the flies that I have made with synthetic yarn bodies and/or with yarn wings definitely do NOT float without a generous application of floatant. Am I using the wrong yarn, or am I simply mistaken about the ability of synthetic yarn to float without the aid of a floatant?

SpookedTrout

Postby SpookedTrout » Mon May 03, 2004 5:31 pm

What type of flies are you using the yarn on? I may be able to help you better if I know the type of flies you are tying.

DaveC
Choose the middle number: 1

Postby DaveC » Tue May 04, 2004 10:08 am

I'm just tying typical dry mayfly patterns such as Adams, BWO, etc. with a dubbed body. I'm also experimenting with yarn wings rather than hackle tip wings. I was hoping that synthetic yarn for the wing would make a fly that would be easy to see, and one which wouldn't get waterlogged without repeated applications of dessicant and floatant.

I guess a better question would be: Which dubbing material inherently repels water and floats the best?

SpookedTrout

Postby SpookedTrout » Tue May 04, 2004 4:12 pm

For the wing material I would go with poly yarn. When using poly yarn I use the least amount of yarn possible because if I use too much the yarn holds water between the fibers. Since poly yarn does not absorb water, but appears to waterlog, a back cast should knock the water out and it should be fine. Since you are tying hackled drys, the poly wings really do not help in floatation since the hackle floats the fly. If you are tying spinners I would go with the poly yarn. I hope this help. :D

jhonharry
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Antron or poly yarn - do they "float"?

Postby jhonharry » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:32 am

I don't understand your topic.Please explaine your topic clearly.
jhonharry

janemcready
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Antron or poly yarn - do they "float"?

Postby janemcready » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 am

I have no idea about the Antron or poly yarn properties. I had also read in some blog stating these yarns have a specific gravity that is lower than water and will float on their own. But there is no proof for this statement. So it is better you check with some professional who deals with the same.

JAne
microneedle skin roller reviews

Return to “Fly Tying”