Dry Top

It's tough, even dangerous...and fun
SteveC

Dry Top

Postby SteveC » Fri May 06, 2005 12:51 pm

I noticed Simms has just come out with a dry top for surf fishers, which is like a splash top or dry top used for kayaking.
Does anyone use these in the surf?
Would you wear it over chest high waders, or would you wear waist high waders?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Richard
Site Admin
Choose the middle number: 1

Postby Richard » Fri May 06, 2005 1:20 pm

Steve, the latest ish of Cal Fly Fisher (which is at the printer as I type these words) has a story on surf fishing by Ken Hanley, and one of the photos that supports the article shows an angler wearing what surely must be a dry top over chest waders. Having been soaked too many times by waves along the San Mateo County coast, I gotta say dry tops for surf fishing is a great idea.

Bud
Site Admin
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Postby Bud » Fri May 06, 2005 4:19 pm

Yeah, Ken wears a kayaker's top in the surf--and therefore in almost all the pictures of him in the surf. They aren't cheap, but they do the job. I can see Simms wanting in on that market. I wear a breathable "water-resistant"anorak-style thingy that I got on sale at the North Face seconds store in Berkeley, and it works pretty well. You really need something--even a raincoat, although they can be hot.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. And inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
--Marx (Groucho)

mca0766

Simms dry shirt

Postby mca0766 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:10 pm

There's a fella on fliflicker.com that uses one of those. Try posting there, I'm sure you'll get a full review.
Marc

SurfishingBum

Kayak Dry Top Source

Postby SurfishingBum » Tue May 10, 2005 4:51 pm

I have several dry and semi-dry kayak tops that I use to wear over the waders to keep dry. The neoprene waist loop that kayakers use to fit over the kayak can seal the water out from your wait, plus the neoprene neck and wrist seals. A friend of mine took a full dunk one time and came out pretty dry.

You can get them from www.nrsweb.com, but it is more expensive.

I bought most of my kayak tops from www.sierratradingposts.com, which carries closeouts at a good discounted prices. Go to the site and search the Outdoor Gear & Outerwear, Paddle/Water, then Men's Drytops/Drysuits. Or use the following URL:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp ... isplay.htm

There are short sleeve and long sleeve versions.

JC
<'))))><

Robert Ketley

Postby Robert Ketley » Tue May 10, 2005 8:40 pm

The kayak tops are great for keeping dry. The bright yellow color helps with safety, too. The only downside is that most are not breathable and can get mighty hot and wet inside when the sun comes up. Having a wicking underlayer can help a bit.

For many years Jay Murakoshi wore an old ratty yellow rain jacket. We all promised to chip in a few bucks to buy him a new one, but he said No. He gets wet, has fun and always fishes hard. The lesson? Surf fishing is not about worrying about getting wet- you will!

Rob
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

K.Hanley

Postby K.Hanley » Thu May 12, 2005 1:04 pm

Gotta jump in here for a moment guys. Yup, I enjoy wearing my kayak top. Great stuff... it's a short sleeved version.

I've been field testing the new SIMMS top for them. I just filed a new field report with SIMMS reps/SPAM team. Maybe they will use the insights to create a top better suited for warm climate conditions?

Hey Robo... you have forgotten that Jay has been wearing a kayak top (similar to mine) for over two years now. I know the image of him with the yellow rain slicker is embedded in your memory!
Cheers, Ken

Return to “Saltwater”