Stripping Basket Techniques

It's tough, even dangerous...and fun
plh
Choose the middle number: 1

Stripping Basket Techniques

Postby plh » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:46 am

Would the board members share with me their techniques and proceedures for stripping their flyline in to the basket while fishing the surf. I am not expeirencing any difficulties, just looking to improve. Thanks in advance for your time and have a good events in your day.

Paul

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:01 am

Paul, I'm not sure this is the response you're looking for, but my primary problem with stripping baskets is that once in them the line can become tangled -- which, of course, muffs up the cast that follows. I'm tempted to buy one of those baskets that has cones welded to the bottom. Anyone have experience with 'em?

mca0766

Stripping basket technique

Postby mca0766 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:27 pm

I have an LL Bean basket that has cones in the bottom, I did all the mods to it that I think were posted on this site. I have the problem that Richard mentioned. I used to prepare the night before by giving my line a good hand stretch and leaving it in a shoe box loose until I got to the beach, then winding it onto the reel before I hit the water. But, now I don't use a basket, I just let the current pull it and do sort of a reverse of a haul, pulling the line out of the water with my left hand and let it shoot. It's not perfect, line sometimes gets around the feet, but I ALWAYS got tangles with a basket.

Robert Ketley

Postby Robert Ketley » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:51 pm

Tangles are a fact of life with a basket. I stick with a basket because I cast farther and more easily with one and I hate getting the line wrapped around my ankles.

I have found a few things that help:

Stretch the line when you hit the beach.

Walk carefully if there is line in the basket. Any bump will increase the chances of a tangle. Make the first cast after a long hike, gentle. Retrieve the line carefully before spanking it out on the next cast.

Don't have too little line betwen the reel and the basket. If you cast and lift the line coiled in the basket, it will tangle.

Remove any line twist caused by oval casting strokes or strong alongshore currents.

Clean the line every 20-30 minutes. You'll be surprised how much crud gets on it. Dirty lines tangle more.

Get used to saying !@#$%^& !@#$% !@@#$

Rob
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

SurfishingBum

Help To Untwist Fly Lines From RIO - A Video Clip

Postby SurfishingBum » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:54 pm

I found this on the RIO web site that helps the fishman untwist the fly line. It is very neat. I suppose "Lefties" spin the rod in the opposite direction.

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/coiltwist.asp

Hope this helps.

:D
<'))))><

elkhair

Tangles in a stripping basket

Postby elkhair » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:31 pm

I know this reply on the tangle problem is VERRRRY late, but thought it may help.

I belong to the www.fliflicker.com message board (primarily on fishing saltwater & surf) and was given a lot of help on this subject. Lots of folks have bought the Orvis stripping basket (with small "domes" in the bottom) and like it; they do have to modify it by drilling lots of drain holes in the bottom, so the basket won't pull you down when you get hit by a wave.

Others, including myself, have made their own baskets. My first one was a waste basket with 100 pound mono "fingers" in the botom. It tangled my fly line terribly.

With info from my fellow fliflickers, I made a 2nd stripping basket for just over $3. Alll materials bought at Walmart.

I bought a plastic dish-washing tub (about 16" x 12", and 6" deep).....the kind you use when you go camping. I drilled 1/2" diameter holes in the bottom. about 2-1/2" apart. The rows of holes worked out to alternate 5 in one row. then offset, so the next row was 4 holes, etc. Then I bought a few packets of golf ball markers (3/4" diameter plastic discs with an upright post in the center) and glued them to the bottom with super-glue, at 2-1/2" centers, in between the drain holes. Finally, after cutting slots for a quick-release wading belt, I split a foam swim "noodle" & placed it around the edge of the wash tub. That allowed me to cut notches in the side closest to my waist, so I could rest my fly rod across it while changing flies.

The underside of that foam "noodle" is a good place to put flies after you change, so not to contaminate your fly box.

My fly line has NEVER gotten tangled in this basket, honestly!

Hope this helps.
Here is a beautiful stream; what treasures will it reveal........

JPShelton

Fly Tubez

Postby JPShelton » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:21 pm

Group:

Like RK, I get waaaaaay more distance when my line can shoot from the basket than I get when shooting gritty line fresh off the sand.

Like elkhair, I use a homebrewed basket. Mine has "Fly Tubez" in it now -short lengths of tubing similar to that used in the drip irrigation set-ups I used to encounter when dealing with people who "toked the herb" back in my law enforcement days.

No tangles since I started using them.

-JP
"I fish, therefore I am."

KeithBigBear

Postby KeithBigBear » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:55 pm

Funny this topic came up (at least for me). I just got back from 10 days in the Sierras, float tube fishing. Line tangles were driving me crazy. I almost went to buy new line when I decided to clean the line, like Robert said. That made the difference. I tested that action & as the line got dirtier, the more & worse the tangles got. I put line cleaner & a small rag in my vest & would clean the line as soon as the tangles seem to be getting worse. Also do you know that when you get a tangle, it's easier to clear it by pulling the line from the reel side, NOT the rod tip side. If it's really bad, I just throw all the line in the water & pull it from the reel side until it clears. This has worked for me 90 % of the time. There are some tangles that you just have to take the time to undo them. What line cleaner do you all think is best? <>< <><

Return to “Saltwater”