Moving to Fresno, what to catch where to fish??

In other words, north of, oh, Visalia
east coaster
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Moving to Fresno, what to catch where to fish??

Postby east coaster » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Moving to Fresno from Vermont. I love to fly fish and will chuck a bug at anything that swims. What can I catch and where should I fish near Fresno?

davebtwo

Re: Moving to Fresno, what to catch where to fish??

Postby davebtwo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:36 pm

I work in Fresno and live up in the Bass Lake area, 45 miles NE of Fresno. There are a lot of fly fishing water, from big to small, rivers to creeks, with in a couple of hours. Then there is Yosemite. Around Bass lake, Oakhurst and North Fork there are many small streams/creeks that are fun to fish. What type of water are you looking to fish?

But, you can always fish the San Joaquin below Friant Dam, open all year. Be careful some of the crowd in that area is not always that good. When are you moving?

east coaster

Postby east coaster » Fri May 06, 2011 4:53 pm

well i really enjoy fishing small streams for trout. Here in VT I chase wild fish with a dry fly, all the small streams are loaded with wild native brookies. I also have a small boat that I use to catch largemouth, smallmouth, and northern pike.

east coaster

Postby east coaster » Fri May 06, 2011 5:00 pm

also heard some things about the kings river above pin flat lake. what do you think?

davebtwo

Postby davebtwo » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 pm

The Kings River, I think, is still a blue ribbon trout river. It is in blow out stage now and until fall is not fishable, for the most part.

There is also the Merced river up near Yosemite. It is great fishing. There is also the San Joaquin river that can be fished up high and on the east side of the sierra. On the east side there is Hat creek, the Ownes. maybe some of the best fishing in the west and just over the mountains, a 4 hour drive.

The Kern river is also a great place to fish. And fairly close.

millerton lake is good for boat fishing. small mouth, shad, sun fish, large mouth. Just outside Fresno.

Bass lake is good trout etc fishing, from shore or boat. There are a lot of other lakes in the foothills that are good fishing but to many to name.

There are a lot of options for small streams also.

east coaster

Postby east coaster » Sat May 14, 2011 4:47 pm

thanks man! sounds like there are plenty of options. I wont be out there until september, hopefully just in time for some great fall fishing.

Return to “Northern California”