Heading for Mono Hot Springs

In other words, north of, oh, Visalia
bungersma

Heading for Mono Hot Springs

Postby bungersma » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:34 pm

for a long weekend soon. Does anyone know how the water conditions are this year in the San Joaquin and nearby creeks? Other than turning over rocks, any advice on flies? I've never been further up the road than Huntington Lake, so this is new territory for me. I'll be grateful for any information.

epzamora
Choose the middle number: 1

Postby epzamora » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:27 am

i'd say standard sierra trout patterns. i've fished mono hot springs before using dry adams and EHC. hooked into quite a few browns.

eric
fresno, ca.

bungersma

Back from Mono Hot Springs

Postby bungersma » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:49 pm

The weather was warm, and so was the river--a pleasure to wade wet, even in the morning. I measured it at 60 degrees just above where the hot springs come into the river. I fished two mornings, once upstream of the campground area, once down. Success on pheasant tail and EHC, including one nice fish, probably a holdover, that broke me off when I rushed the landing. Most, but not all, of my takes were in the deep pools, where fish were holding for the cool water. All were rainbows, all released. It was easy to cross the river due to low water. What a nice area--can't wait to go back!

Return to “Northern California”