Redding is waaaaay north of Visalia, and the fishing's great

In other words, north of, oh, Visalia
Chip Obrien
Choose the middle number: 1

Redding is waaaaay north of Visalia, and the fishing's great

Postby Chip Obrien » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:23 pm

I hate the cabin fever that often sets in around this time of year, so it's good to remember there is still great fishing in northern California in mid-January.

Baum Lake offers excellent winter fishing opportunities. I also have friends who claim to be having a banner steelhead season on the Trinity. While the flows in the lower Sac can be a bit tricky this time of year, the sun was shining today and I saw a number of driftboats and wading anglers enjoying the day. SOMEBODY MUST BE CATCHING SOMETHING!

No one who isn't willing to give winter fishing a try has any right to whine about being cooped up inside. I say, go for it!

Richard
Site Admin

Details re Baum

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:08 am

Chip! Good to hear from you. Hey, is the winter fishery at Baum a surface or subsurface affair? Any hatches of note? I'm assuming the bite doesn't really start up until the sun hits the water and starts to warm it -- is Baum in winter primarily a mid-day fishery?

Chip Obrien

Baum Lake

Postby Chip Obrien » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:21 am

Richard,

The Baum Lake fishery is best in the afternoon hours and there are often midges and Baetis mayflies hatching. This little impoundment can offer some of the best dry fly fishing around, but it's veeery tricky fishing. The fish are there and you will see them rising, but your presentation has to be top notch.

The best action occurs in the upper end of Baum right next to the parking area. This is slowly moving water, so it's more like fishing a spring creek than a stillwater. You can access some of the rising fish from shore, but this may take a fair amount of casting skill. You are better off in a pram you can anchor to get closer to the action. Almost any small mayfly dry will work if presented well and with 6X tippet. I like paraduns (color doesn't matter) #16-20.

Perhaps the most dependable way to take fish is with small midge pupa nymphs under a floating strike indicator. Good luck!

tolka
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Redding is waaaaay north of Visalia, and the fishing's g

Postby tolka » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:45 am

Fishing on the Yuba near Sierra City between late February and mid-March would certainly be cold--and it would also be illegal........!!!!!!!!!
Unlike scam cisco ccna practice test dumps and security certification dumps training program, our best ccnp switching dumps - pass4-sure and www.cambridgecollege.edu online training courses provide you quick success in Tabor College try of icnd College of Notre Dame of Maryland

Return to “Northern California”