Mokelumne River Advice

In other words, north of, oh, Visalia
gbslade
Choose the middle number: 1

Mokelumne River Advice

Postby gbslade » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:51 am

I'm planning on fishing the Mokelumne River below Camanche dam next week, for the first time. Any advice on flies, locations, access points, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

dtp916

Postby dtp916 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Take Hwy 12 east and turn left on McIntire, it'll take you right to the access. The farther you walk up the smaller it gets. I've fished it twice and got skunked both times :? ...I've only met 1 guy who caught one, on an egg pattern. You'll see risers, but they are small ones...I'd try an egg with a midge dropper, under and indicator. Bring small mayfly and caddisfly patterns too. Good luck :)

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:52 am

I fished it years ago in pretty much the same area, and pretty much had the same experience. Which isn't to say, of course, that things haven't improved....

BenFishin

Postby BenFishin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:17 pm

The Mokelumne shows up on the DFG's list of waters infested by NZ Mud Snails. If you fish the Mokelumne, please treat your gear

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/Admi ... nail_0.htm

gbslade

Postby gbslade » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:37 am

I had heard that and treated my waders, but thanks for the link. I was surprised by the new regulations only recommending freezing. Last I heard and read all the studies recommended treating with 50% 409 solution. What changed?

Return to “Northern California”