Ahjumawi

In other words, north of, oh, Visalia
ContraCosta

Ahjumawi

Postby ContraCosta » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:15 pm

Need any input or advice----- on fishing or camping, canoeing or how bad the mosquitos really are)

I am going to Ahjumawi State Park May 2207 (at least that is my plan now.)

I first learned about Ahjumawi 3 weeks ago on TV show Ewell Howser's California Gold- looked interesting so I have been searching online.

Questions:

1) best time of year to go- for fishing and bug problem
2) What to use, one website article said 4 inch wolly buggers. That is huge. Wonder if he meant size 4.
3) One site said to look for the springs in the lake- and fish those??
4) Any source for maps or fishing maps?

Basically anything anyone can tell me I will appreciate. Especailly the mosquito problem. 2 sites said Ahjumawi is one of worst areas in US for mosquitos. Sounds like a scare tactic to me.

dtp916

Postby dtp916 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:47 pm

I'm not familar with that place, but I can tell you to how to keep those nasty bugs away: DEET :D

Pick up repellent called Cutter's (made by well known fly fisher/instuctor Ralph Cutter), I have a small "sportsman" bottle and is close to 95% DEET. Bugs HATE that stuff. Remember to put it on ALL areas that are exposed. Watch out, for it will destroy mono...back of hands is good, but not palms, rinse before touching tippet.

Size 4 and 4 inch Woolly Buggers are pretty much the same size...I would go with a size 6 or 8...Just bring a well rounded arsenal: Dries, Cripples, Nymphs > Caddis and Mayfly, Midges in size 18 and 20, and a Wooly Buggers.

If this is a bass area might want to definetely bring size 4 wooly buggers :D Dahlberg divers and some bass flies...

ContraCosta

Ahjumawi Lava Springs St Park- NE California

Postby ContraCosta » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:24 pm

1) Ahjumawi is by Fall River Mills/MacArthur/Burney-- northeast of Redding, CA. Ahjumawi means where 4 waters meet--- The waters which come together are Big Lake, Tule River, Ja-She Creek, Lava Creek, and Fall River.

Its a boat in only State Park. All the write ups have it as one of the best fly fishing spots in CA. Only 2000 visitors a year due to boat in, primitive camping sites, mosquitos.

2) Mosquitos. I have some 100% Deet products, but my question was more "just how bad are they?" Articles I have read state it's worst mosquito problem in lower 48 states. I want ot know how bad it really is.

3) I have fished Fall River and had great success during its famous Hex hatch, but want info from anyone who has actually been to Ahjumawi &/or fished there.

Bud
Site Admin
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Postby Bud » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:16 pm

dtp916 wrote:Pick up repellent called Cutter's (made by well known fly fisher/instructor Ralph Cutter)

I believe Ralph's family sold the business, which was founded by his grandfather, in about 1975. In posts in other forums, Ralph has said that tests have shown that 37 percent is the optimum amount of DEET if it is to be used for repelling mosquitoes. Anything beyond that just helps you melt fly lines, the plastic in sunglasses, your chromosomes. . . whatever.

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. And inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
--Marx (Groucho)

Return to “Northern California”