tips for the stan opener?

In other words, north of, oh, Visalia
feelinminnesota
Choose the middle number: 1

tips for the stan opener?

Postby feelinminnesota » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:06 pm

i was planning on going out below goodwin dam on the first.
i was wondering if anyone had any nymph advice for me. i plan on turning some rocks and trying to match the local forage. i have a few bead heads and some other styles. what is the main hatch in the stan? i was planning on fishing below a #10 caddis instead of an indicator, mainly because i can never figure out a good way to tye those suckers on.
good luck to all
Neil

dtp916

Postby dtp916 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:05 pm

I want to head out to the Stan too, but it looks pretty high. Looks like the best fishing is usually 300-700 cfs. At the moment it's running at 944 cfs...

I've been there one time, 6-7 years ago and caught m any fish mid-summer. Small nymphs were the ticket, I'd use a #18 flashback PT for starters. Checking the rocks is always a good bet.

Check this out: http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7

feelinminnesota

Postby feelinminnesota » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:11 am

thanks dtp,
i know it has been high all year. i hadn't even checked the flow yet.
Neil

feelinminnesota

Postby feelinminnesota » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:02 pm

well, i made it out around 9:00 am(overslept a bit). the river was quite crowded :? and very fast as well as high. i didn't really give it my best shot. i heard a guy say he got one on an egg pattern and saw another angler miss a fish. i recently switched to working the graveyard shift, so i should be able to get out during the week more often this year.
i hope others did better than i did and found a nice quiet spot. it was a beautiful day anyway 8)
Neil

dtp916

Postby dtp916 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:01 pm

Sweet! I'm going to be at the Moke tomorrow, but i have to stop by the fly shop first (I tried going today but it was closed...no kidding :D ) I probably won't hit the water until 11:30 or 12 :(

But I'm leaving for Hawaii Wed, so I need a few things for over there...I'll post a report for yall. 8)

Return to “Northern California”