new years resolution

In other words, north of, oh, Visalia
feelinminnesota
Choose the middle number: 1

new years resolution

Postby feelinminnesota » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:00 pm

hi all.
i am spin fisherman who has vowed to improve my fly fishing skills this comming year. i am a novice in every aspect of the sport. i have a nice setup thanks to my wonderfull wife. i need advice on what flies to use.
i will be fishing the stanislaus from goodwin dam to knights ferry. i have a few spots i can get them on spinners, and have even gotten some small fish on dry flys. i have much better luck with the spinning rod but really want to get some decent fish on the reddington this year. any advive would be greatly appreciated.
i am always looking for a fishing buddy too, though i do like the solitude.
anyone living in or around the oakdale area, would love some advice on other spots for all species.
thanks guys,
see ya on the water.
Neil

Bonvo

Postby Bonvo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:22 pm

I was in the same situation about 8 years ago. Thought I could just buy some flies and start fishing. After a couple of years of catching few fish, my brother in law and I hired a guide in the eastern Sierra. OMG! What an eye opener. Nmphing under an indicator. Leaning about world of bugs--entemology--it completely changed our fly fishing lives. We caught a ton of fish when no one was able to. Do yourself a favor. Hire a guide and learn his world. You will take the fast track to knowing what you're doing. Check out a fly shop near you and ask around for a good guide. We were lucky. The first guide we had is one of the best in California--Harry Blackburn. We have since used him a number of times to learn new waters and new tactics. BTW we are not well to do by any means. If I had to do it over again, I would have hired a guide right away. Good luck and welcome to a life long passion. You won't go back to spin fishing.

feelinminnesota

Postby feelinminnesota » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:23 am

thanks bonvo,
i have looked at a guide that fishes the stan and toulemne. i would love to do a guided trip, perhaps it could be a fathers day gift to myself this year.
Neil

feelinminnesota

Postby feelinminnesota » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:31 am

i have read that the first of the year can be a great time to get a big bow out of the stan. they say the big trout are actively feeding on young salmon. i was wondering if any body has a streamer pattern that will work. or for that matter how do you work a streamer, tight line or under an indicator? i have the 1st and 2nd off, and plan to hit the river in a few spots around knights ferry and the goodwin dam.
perhaps you will see me. i'll be the one with 7 or 8 knots in my leader :lol:
Neil

mann52

knights ferry

Postby mann52 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:48 pm

Hi Neil,
The Stan does pick up at the beginning of the year. Be careful though, I made the mistake of going there after many years overseas, & the sign says "0 limit". Cool I thought, we can catch as many as we want. :lol:
English can be a hard language for us. Fortunately, nothing happened. No catch that time.
Keith (Sonora)

feelinminnesota

Postby feelinminnesota » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:37 am

"0 limit". Cool I thought, we can catch as many as we want.

that makes sense to me :lol:
Neil

jhonharry
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: new years resolution

Postby jhonharry » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:31 am

i will be fishing the stanislaus from goodwin dam to knights ferry. i have a few spots i can get them on spinners, and have even gotten some small fish on dry flys. i have much better luck with the spinning rod but really want to get some decent fish on the reddington this year.
jhonharry

Return to “Northern California”