Eastern Sierra Mammoth area help

In other words, north of, oh, Visalia
Big As A Mountain
Choose the middle number: 1

Eastern Sierra Mammoth area help

Postby Big As A Mountain » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:00 pm

Hello,
I'm a newbie here, and I've read some really neat articles and posts. This is an awesome site. Thanks,

Ok...I need a little help. My buddy and I are going to head to the Mammoth are in a week or 2. We were thinking about fishing the San Joaquin, but it looks difficult to get at. I have a jeep that is rock ready, so 4x4 roads are not an issue, is it that difficult to get to? Then we thought about fishing Hot Creek, or Cottonwood creek, or...the upper Owens. Man...we just don't know where to fish. We both are used to fishing the western slope of the sierra and we catch little 6 or 7 inchers. I'd like to fish for some natural browns in a larger size. If any of you have fished the Mammoth area, could you point us in a good direction. We like to be out on a creek or stream where there aren't many fisherman. Any help or guidance would be deeply appreciated. Again thanks in advance. I'll keep posting and put our pics on here too after our trip!
Big T.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:11 pm

www.sierradrifters.com/fish.html

This is a site that I found recently. It has some terrific photos and refrences many specific areas. Contact a fly shop in Bishop or Mammoth to get specifics for your trip. Sounds like a good time to be going though.

Rick

Big As A Mountain

Postby Big As A Mountain » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:10 am

Rick,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I think we'll do some hiking from Pumice flats all the way up to Ten Thousdands lakes area on the Pacific Crest Trail. We have a room booked in Mammoth for the weekend, so it should be a good time. Always fished the western slopes of the Sierra and never the eastern side. I'm so stoked! We are going to hit up some of the local fly shops give them our business and hope that they give us some good reports on where to try.

If anyone else has any other thoughts please send them my way. Thanks again Rick.

BAAM

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:47 am

FYI, a friend of mine fished the lower Owens last weekend and came across extraordinary quantities of New Zealand mud snails. If you're fishing infected waters, please be sure to clean and treat your wading gear so that these molluscs aren't tranferred to other streams in California.

Recommendations for cleaning gear can be found elsewhere in the CFF message board....

danmcmartin

Postby danmcmartin » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:03 am

The San Joaquin is accessed via a paved, but narrow, road. You could easily get there in with a 2wd vehicle. The road is closed during the day excect to shuttle traffic and those with camp spots, but I think those restrictions only apply in the summer. You should be able to find those closure rules on the internet. I have only gone in the summer and beat the closure and the stream wasn't very crowded. I suspect it would be very uncrowded this time of year.

I only fish Hot Creek occasionally, but I would guess you could find a quiet stretch the fish this time of year. Just don't wade the creek. I don't believe that is a regulation yet, but it is at least a strong suggestion and a good one due to the New Zealand Mud Snails and the fragile stream bed.

There are plenty of other creeks in the area both north in the June Lake Loop, like Rush Creek below Grant lake, and to the south, say Convict. Get a map, pick a blue line and fish it. Personnally, I find it more satisfying fishing a less famous piece of water than and enjoying the peace and solitude than fighting for a place on a famous water.

gbslade

Postby gbslade » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:12 am

One thing to inquire about: There is a Fishing Derby in October in the Owens River/Crowley Lake area. This can mean a lot of fisherman on the better known waters. Ask about it at the fly shops in Mammoth Lakes and Bishop. The streams in the June Lake Loop as well as the smaller creeks in the Mammoth Lakes area are good fishing this time of year. If you don't mind driving 45 min or so, the Bridgeport area (North on Hwy 395) has good fishing this time of year in both the East and West Walker Rivers.

Return to “Northern California”