HOME PAGE
HOME PAGESubscribe Today!Current IssueMessage BoardAdvertisingAdvertisingContact Us

MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome, fellow cyber-anglers, to the California Fly Fisher Message Board!   If this is your first visit, please register so you can post messages.   

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Smith River Trout?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:23 pm 

i just started fly fishing and i live in Crescent City CA... right by the smith river... and i know its famous for salmon and steelhead but is it any good for trout??? the biggest rainbow i caught is 6inches :( i dont know if im doing somthing way wrong or what...anyone got any tips?? any help would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Shawn, the Smith is known primarily as a steelhead river -- steelies are ocean-going rainbow trout. The fish you caught might well have been a steelhead smolt. That said, some of the forks and headwaters of the Smith may hold populations of resident rainbows. Seems to me exploring for 'em might be a fun adventure.

The Smith also has a population of searun cutthroat trout, but they're not easy to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:01 am 

hey thanks for the info...so if thats the case then i should probably start searching further up river away from the ocean? it splits into forks up stream... and it becomes much smaller and colder could that be a better place to find rainbows?

i just wish there was some kinda fly shop in my area, or a place that offered lessons im kinda just going by what has been working for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Tribs near the ocean -- their mouths especially -- might be cutthroat territory. Check the Fish and Game regs, too -- they might offer some clues for you.

Post subject: Cutts
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:28 pm 

Nothing could be farther from me than the Smith BUT I am most fascinated by the "stream". A recent acquaintance was part of a stream survey there and raved about targeting sr cutts. This might not directly address the thread but it's fascinating. Look at the stream surveys too: http://www.smithriveralliance.org/programs/watershedprotect/fishsurveys.html.

Bernard

Post subject: Re: Smith River Trout?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:12 am 

About ten years ago I fished below Patrick Creek and caught nothing but cutts, averaging about 12" They looked a lot like small steelhead. The cutthroat marks were faint, but they were there.

Post subject: Re: Smith River Trout?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:08 am 

Neat! I have seen enough photos to wonder if I'd be able identify one accurately if I caught one. Fascinating fish.
Thanks
B