Big Bear Lake

The low-down on lakes
KeithBigBear
Choose the middle number: 1

Big Bear Lake

Postby KeithBigBear » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:37 pm

I fished the lake Sunday for about 1 1/2 hours. Thats all my feet could take of the 39 degree water. Got a couple of lethargic takes in 6 - 8 feet of water at the Observatory. Waters still too cold. Usually when the water temp hits 45 - 46 degrees & the first midges start to hatch they'll get more active. The lake has sections of ice almost on a daily basis. Lower water levels have exposed some wade fishing areas on the east end.

soCal Puddle Jumper

Big Bear Lake

Postby soCal Puddle Jumper » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:47 pm

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:37 pm Post subject: Big Bear Lake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fished the lake Sunday for about 1 1/2 hours. Thats all my feet could take of the 39 degree water. Got a couple of lethargic takes in 6 - 8 feet of water at the Observatory. Waters still too cold. Usually when the water temp hits 45 - 46 degrees & the first midges start to hatch they'll get more active. The lake has sections of ice almost on a daily basis. Lower water levels have exposed some wade fishing areas on the east end.

Keith,

how's the weather and water looking in Big Bear? I'm trying to get out next weekend to get some fishing in.. And, since I'm not too far from Big Bear, that would be an option.. And, what are they hitting on? Thanks..

Steve
Gone fishing.. Please be careful and don't hook your face to my fly..

KeithBigBear

Big Bear Lake 2/8/04

Postby KeithBigBear » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:27 pm

Wade fished the Observatory today around noon. Got 3 trout,biggest 15", looked like full of eggs. Lined up with the tracking tower & cast about 30 feet & did slow retrieve in 4 - 5 feet of water. All hit my black #10 KFlies "bottom bouncer" leech. Water temp 40 degr. No midge activity seen at all. North Shore from the Observatory east to Juniper Point are good areas. Full sink line or floating line with long leaders will work. Sunny with stiff wind from east was cold.

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:10 pm

Is Big Bear mostly fishable from the shore, or is it better to use a float tube (aftert the water warms up, of course)?

Return to “Stillwater”