WARNING!

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Bonvo

WARNING!

Postby Bonvo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:45 pm

I want to let everyone know what happened to me two weeks ago on the San Gabriel River. It was a Sunday morning and there was a sale at the Orvis store in Pasadena. I picked up some waders and various other equipment for a trip later in the month--almost $200 in gear. While in the area, I decided to fish a few hours just past the OHV area on the west fork. I parked my SUV just off the road on the gravel and put the Wilderness Pass on the mirror. The river near the trailers where the rangers live is about 150 yards away. It's a beautiful stretch of large pools and pocket water. It was very pretty and the trout were very willing to bite. I even saw a dozen carp in one large pool, but no luck there. After catching and releasing 10 fish in about 75 yards of river, I headed back to a scene I won't soon forget. The pasenger window of my vehicle was shattered by a large rock with glass all over the inside. The expletives coming out of my mouth were non stop as I was trying to find out what these jerks stole. The bad news: cell phone, all the Orvis gear in the bag with the receipt and, worst of all, my brief case with over 20 years of contacts, appointments, tickets, bank statements, etc. The good news: my jeans with money and wallet were spared as well as two fly rods in a tube and a backpack full of flyfishing gear. Now the sad part. I drove down to the OHV area where a number of rangers were working. I reported the break-in to them and they called the Sheriffs Department in San Dimas. 1 1/2 hours later they showed up and took down the info. The advice I received from them is I shouldn't go up there on weekends--especially on Sundays as this is common. Now, I've been going up there for years and had no problems. The rangers were very happy I was staying around to report this theft as they have seen quite a bit of it and most people wouldn't report it. Also, they want more patrols up there so it won't happen so frequently. I expressed to the officers my displeasure with the warning not to fish the area on weekends asking them to patrol more often and was told their area is too large for frequent patrols. I was also told there are thefts in the parking lots all the time and no place is safe. Sounds to me like they have given up. What rankles me is there is one way in and one way out of that canyon. It wouldn't be too dificult to sit up an operation to nail these people if they chose to. My point to all of you is this. Next time you head to the San Gabriel, bring very little equipment and leave everything else at home, or stow it in a trunk where these thiefs can't see it.
Marc

Matt
Choose the middle number: 1

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:57 pm

Marc, that really sucks, I feel for you. I have fished that area many times, all on weekends, and always have that fear upon returning to the vehicle, but I have been lucky. A friend was broken into on the EF, he reported it, and got his stuff bakc almost immediately, the police nailed the b@stards the same day.
You're last line:
"Next time you head to the San Gabriel, bring very little equipment and leave everything else at home, or stow it in a trunk where these thiefs can't see it."
True enough, words to live by.

Benny

Postby Benny » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Bonvo, sorry to here your vehicle was broken into, I have seen this happen often up in the San Gabriel MTNS, it's every fly anglers fear that some misfortune will happen to them, it always crosses my mind when up on the SGWF or EF. The best thing to do is not leave anything of value in your vehicle. It's sad that we have to worry about our vehicles being broken into instead of having a great day with no worries. Again sorry to hear about this misfortune. Try and not let this misfortune keep you away from fishing the on the SGR :(

Benny

SoCalFF

Postby SoCalFF » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:38 pm

Bonvo,
Sorry to hear about your delimma. I appreciate the warning. I've heard this kind of stuff is also happening on Hot Creek and other places flyfishers venture too. I hope the bastard that did this deed gets his well deserved reward. Thanks!

gotaFly

Postby gotaFly » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 pm

That is just so horrible. I hate those people. If I could just get my hand on them, they'd be shark bait. My old car actually got broken into 3 times before it finally got stripped down. I was so devestated as it was my dream car. I just hate it, I can't believe the law enforcement can't do anything to stop it, and they just don't even seem to even care. They almost act like its our fault. gr... Sorry but I have no respect for the Law enforcement. I think they are all a joke. With them on the news shooting innocent people, so quick to shoot somebody, and show no remorse. They have never benifited me at all... I have so many bad experiences with the law (not breaking it, just not there to help...).
It's a pitty Bonovo. I know exactly how you feel. I still to this day feel hurt by those bastards taking my baby away from me. That car was irreplaceable for me... It'll never be the same.
Well tips on avoiding it...
When I park my car now, I have theft device in sight like a club or anything. I leave everything at home. I empty out my glove box and console fully. Only things I need is my registration and insurance card, and my adventure pass. I make sure not to leave anything in my car, even hats or whatever. I make it look as plain as possible. I have no spiffy stereo or anything. I hide my wallet in the trunk in the brake light access. I also have one of those chips you need to plug in before you can start the car, but I don't have a car alarm. Anyhow, I don't leave anything insight in my car. I make it look as if there is nothing to steal, giving them no reason to mess up my car. I still worry like heck all the time when on the way baack to the car. I just can't get over it. I think the best bet though is one of those car pagers, and a .45 in your waist, ok fine atleast some pepper spray and a bamboo cane on their punk @ss.
Again I'm so sorry you had to go thru this...

K gota fly...

Gabe

trout fisherman

Postby trout fisherman » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:52 pm

Bonvo

I am very sorry to hear about your experience on the SG. I have gone up there several weekend days and never had a problem. I guess that I will be more cautious in the future.

I hope that they nail the SOBs that damaged your vehicle and stole your things.

Bonvo

Postby Bonvo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Thanks for the support, guys. I know I have to get over it or I won't fish there ever again. I think posting this has helped do that. The thing is, I never even thought this would happen. Real naive, I guess. Just blew me away when it happened. Hopefully by posting this someone will learn and not pack all their equipment in their car (like I did).
Thanks again,
Marc

kiteguy66

Postby kiteguy66 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:05 pm

Very sorry to hear about your loss. A couple of things I found effective, cheap, and easy. I put a sun shade in the front window, then votingmachines a towel, or similar over the side windows. Basically, I block all views into the vehicle. Now, you might laugh at this next thing, but....I will take a permanant marker, and put a couple signs in the windows that read something to the effect of "attention thieves, make sure you smile if you decide to break in, because you are being watched as you read this, assuming you can in fact read....good luck!". Seems silly, but the thinking is that they won't break into a vehicle they can't see inside of, and anyone willing to take such precautions may actually be watching, and won't have anything of value in the vehicle anyway. Although I am certainly giving them more credit than they deserve, it seems like it may be effective.
Dave

gotaFly

Postby gotaFly » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:35 am

okay, I don't know how to go about replying to that without sounding like the enemy. But I know for a fact, that it doesn't work, and infact only helps theives. It helps them hide inside the car once broken into. They can just take all the time they want in there without anyone seeing what exactly is going on in there. Same goes for super dark tint. The best is to park in plain site. I always point the front of my car in the direction where there are people that can see in. Anyhow, I am not a theif so no worries... K gota fly...

Gabe

kiteguy66

Postby kiteguy66 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:09 am

Good point, didn't think about that.
Dave

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:47 am

I might even consider taking everything out of my glove compartment (registration, insurance, etc.) placing it in the trunk (my car has a lock on the trunk release). I'd leave my glove compartment and center arm rest compartment OPEN and I'd even roll all my windows DOWN so anyone can easily look into the car and see there is nothing to take. If some criminal misrcreant wanted to get in and snoop, he could just open the door. The worst that would happen is the creep would just steal the whole car, which anyone could do anyway even if it was locked up. Maybe I'd pull the distributor wire and take it with me. At least I wouldn't have to deal with getting a broken window replaced just because someone wanted to snoop.

We should all keep a vigilant eye out for people breaking in to other vehicles while we're up there.

Return to “Southern California”