Piru Creek Patterns

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
majormajow
Choose the middle number: 1

Piru Creek Patterns

Postby majormajow » Tue May 31, 2005 11:00 pm

Hi all,
I recently moved to the LA area from St. Louis, MO and am trying to get some info on fly patterns for the region. I recently made an exploratory trip to Piru Creek and was wondering what would be some good patterns to try on this water? The landscape here is pretty different from that of the Ozark streams back home, I'm really excited to begin exploring CA's streams and lakes. Thanks for any help.

Ben

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:14 pm

I've had good luck on the wild trout section above Frenchman's Flat with size 16-18 Griffith's Gnat, Black Gnat, and size 14 Hare's Ears in olive. Haven't fished there in a while, need to get back to the section below Frenchman's for some good sized wild fish and some solitude.

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:08 pm

You'll do fine with the basics: tan or brown elk hair caddis, parachute adams, even a yellow humpy in sizes 14-16. You can also try hanging a size 16 nymph such as a gold ribbed hares ear, a soft hackle pheasant tale, or even a tiger midge on a dropper 12 or 15 inches below your dry.

Be certain to slather up with DEET otherwise you'll be eaten alive by the tiny black biting flies. Wear fingerless gloves because the flies love to bite between your fingers after the DEET gets washed off your hands.

Good luck, and tell us how you do.

Flyjunkie

Postby Flyjunkie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:12 am

Yeah watch out for those "Man Eating" Blackflies at Frenchman's... They are ruthless!!!!!

I work at Malibu Fish-N-Tackle in Thousand Oaks... Call me sometime & I'll help you learn about the Local Flyfishing... We have Plenty of it available....

(805)496-7332

DEAN.....
"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Southern California”