New to Cali

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Debs
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

New to Cali

Postby Debs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Well I just moved from Tennessee and the smoky mountains and was wondering if I could continue my passion for fly fishing in Los Angeles. I am currently living in Santa Monica and just don't know what my options are. I guess I'm asking where I should go for surf fishing or trout fishing and what I need to absolutely have with me. Glad to join the community. Thanks guys

Curt
Choose the middle number: 1

Re: New to Cali

Postby Curt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:11 am

trout fishing is limited in so cal. but there are local opportunities for small stream fishing. west fork san gabriel.. a known spot. there are local elements (how do you say it politely, uhh unsavory types) that you should look out for... cars have been broken into.

there are surf fishing ops all along the coast but check the dfg.ca.gov site. there are a lot more protected areas that have strict regs.

a few hours drive will get you into the sierras which opens a lot more choices to fish. both the west and east sides. just be aware of the regs.

good luck

bdcanefly
Choose the middle number: 1

Re: New to Cali

Postby bdcanefly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Debs wrote:Well I just moved from Tennessee and the smoky mountains and was wondering if I could continue my passion for fly fishing in Los Angeles. I am currently living in Santa Monica and just don't know what my options are. I guess I'm asking where I should go for surf fishing or trout fishing and what I need to absolutely have with me. Glad to join the community. Thanks guys

Welcome to Cali...

If I was you, I would head to the kern river or Mammoth Lake area.
Yes there fish in the LA mountains,just a lot of work hiking. Not a bad thing, I would not leave my car parked for a day or two.

BDC

Return to “Southern California”