New to fly rod, need spot suggestions!!

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Rexroad
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

New to fly rod, need spot suggestions!!

Postby Rexroad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi, I recently purchased my first fly rod, and am sick of studying and practice casting in the park. Its time to use this thing, STAT! Havent had much luck finding any decent summer/early fall fishing spots any closer to LA than Kern River. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me!? Looking to fish next weekend. Thanks!

Curt
Choose the middle number: 1

Re: New to fly rod, need spot suggestions!!

Postby Curt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:12 pm

funny, this is the first time i've logged into this site in a couple years...

anyway, there are a lot of "local" spots if you're in the LA area. one of the most popular with flyfishers and gangbangers is the west fork of the san gabriel river.

btw, you can do some warm water fishing for bass in local parks.

hit up some of the the other local boards... flyfishingaddicts, kern river flyfishing, ...

if they get to know you, they can be helpful

personally, i'm waiting for winter and early spring to hit up the local mountains... the cold and wet will keep the less desirable elements of society at bay.

Yikes
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: New to fly rod, need spot suggestions!!

Postby Yikes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:33 am

Rexroad, I too am new to fly fishing, and am hoping to take advantage of local waters. Next Sunday Oct 12th there's a guy at the Orvis Pasadena store who will be giving a talk on how to fish the San Gabriel river. Check out their website for more info. (I'll be out of town, so take some good notes and share the info here!)
I rode my bike up the west fork trail over Labor Day, and it really is a great spot. All you have to do is go past the first half mile of humanity, and you get the place all to yourself! Also, there are folks who have recently organized informal cleanups and graffiti removal along the area. Check out the YouTube channel called Pharroah. The people who care about this special place are really stepping up to the plate.
If you haven't been there before, your first reaction will be astonishment that such a beautiful stream could be so close to us! The water was still flowing, albeit slowly, when I went. The fish are kind of hunkering down - - not much luck among the anglers I saw - - but everyone is hoping this winter will finally bring some decent rains.

Return to “Southern California”