East Fork SGR

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
CatchandRepeat
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

East Fork SGR

Postby CatchandRepeat » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Hiked back past the BTNW and dropped down to the water about a 1/2 mile past the 5 mile marker. This was midweek and I was the only person I saw fishing, and only saw one group of hikers.
Water levels were low but some nice pools. Using only dry flies, elk hair caddis in a number 16-20, parachute Adams, Royal Wulffs in the same size, produced a lot of small fish. All were in the 3 to 6 inch range. Probably landed at least a dozen small trout on barbless hooks. Released them all. I was hoping for larger fish this far back. But didn't find any. Two weeks earlier I had fished only a mile or two in (from Heaton flats) and had the same luck with the same sized fish. All were nice little Bows that are fun with a 7' 6" 3wt.
Next time I think I will stay along the stream and work my way back to the area just below the bridge, I don't think this section sees as much pressure as above the bridge. All in all it was a great outing, not too much trash or graffiti. The prospectors were friendly and helpful about locating some nice deeper pools. I would definitely recommend this stream to all who have not fished it yet. What an incredible resource we have just a couple hours from home. Let's all do what we can to protect it.
Remember to display your adventure pass and dont park on the road below the lot-have seen cars ticketed.
Lastly and unfortunately when I got back to the parking lot there were sheriffs officers investigating a break-in to one of the parked vehicles , some loser had shattered the window and stolen items from the car.

bdcanefly
Choose the middle number: 1

Re: East Fork SGR

Postby bdcanefly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks for the report,nice to someone on the board with a report!

Bdc

Return to “Southern California”