The Guide Never Gets To Fish

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Supafly
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Postby Supafly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Back in the day, and right out of college, I remember wanting to get into the surf industry because I thought that I could surf all the time. Seven years later when I took stock on my career I also remember thinking to myself, “Self…this work thing sucks AND, I never get to surf!” Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I get a last minute call from my friend Vaughn saying, “What are you doing early tomorrow morning…do you want to fish?” I have to imagine that most guides get into the business because in the back of their minds they’re thinking, “I bet if I’m a flyfishing guide, I could fish all the time.” Yeah right!

A good book of guide business is exactly that….a business. As like any other industry, every business, and every businessman, has a varying degree of professionalism. In Vaughn’s case, he’s at the top of the ladder when it comes to professionalism because he takes guiding very seriously. He’s early to the dock, the boat is always immaculate, and never asks you to do anything but to have a good time. I asked him the other day if he ever fishes when clients are on the boat, and he said with a lot of horsepower “Never”…. and that he would feel guilty because his clients hire him for the day as a guide and not a second fisherman….a true professional.

Over the past couple of weeks I have had the unique pleasure of actually going out and just fishing with Vaughn on some last minute trips. We had a couple of amazing days, a few with some serious stink on the boat, but in the end it was just nice to see the guide whack the fish for a change. Attached are a few rare pics of “the guide” getting into the fish, as he so deserves. If you’ve ever wanted to chase some big calicos, yellowtails, or even dorados with the fly, this is the time to do it, with all the warm water, and Vaughn is the guide to show you the way! You can reach Vaughn Podmore of Salty Fly Guide Service at 714-235-7715 or at saltyflyhb@yahoo.com

The boys of the Calico Crew are hoping to pry Vaughn away from his amazing guide business for one last hurrah this summer, but our odds are probably the same as winning the next Mega Millions lottery. I hope that all of you are having an incredible summer doing what we all love to do…chasing fish with our fly rods in the company of good friends!

Tight Loops & Tight Lines…Keith M.

SaltyFly_WM (0) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (1) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (2) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (3) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (4) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (5) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (6) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (7) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (8) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

SaltyFly_WM (9) by CalicoSyndicate, on Flickr

Return to “Southern California”