Looking to do some back-packing for brookies

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
schonzy
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Looking to do some back-packing for brookies

Postby schonzy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 am

Hello fly Fisherman, I am new and just signed up. I am looking to get off the beaten path and do some back-packing this summer in the Eastern Sierras. I am familiar with water around the Mammoth lakes basin, and I've been as far as Bridgeport to fish the E. Walker. However, this summer calls for something new. I'd like to do a 4-5 day hike-in pack trip in search of pretty little fish eager to cartwheel after dries. I've never done anything like this, and I'm completely unfamiliar with where to start. I know that the E. Sierras has an vast array of high mountain lakes and streams, but was wondering if any of my fellow fly fisherman would have some good options. I am a conservationist, and live by the code. I do nothing but catch and release, and only fish barbless, ever where it isn't required. I promise not to do any damage to the places we hold dearest.
If anyone has some good ideas for where I could find my solitude, please let me know. Glad to be aboard.

jph1
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Looking to do some back-packing for brookies

Postby jph1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 am

Can't believe nobody has answered, must all be trying to keep their spots secret. I would try Kearsarge Lakes, out of Independence. You do need a trail/wilderness pass for the area and there are a lot of days that are already full, but if you plan ahead and get the passes, it's a beautiful area with plenty of Brook trout fishing.

JPH

Return to “Southern California”