new to area- desperate to fish

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Mike C
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

new to area- desperate to fish

Postby Mike C » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm

I just moved to San Diego from Western North Carolina and am really missing catching fish on a fly. Can anyone suggest any freshwater fishing that may be available and what sort of fish they hold?
I am not picky I and I already figured San Diego was a little too far south to find trout.
thanks so much,
Mike

dmac619

Re: new to area- desperate to fish

Postby dmac619 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Mike,
I would look into Cuyamaca lake. Its the only lake I know of in San Diego county that holds trout year round. There are a lot rules for fishing there, like no catch and release.They also have crappie, large mouth bass, small mouth bass. Lake Morena can be good at times as well, it is mainly large mouth bass but is stocked with trout in the winter months. I think both lakes fish best from a boat or float tube. Also consider San Diego Bay for spotted bay bass, they can be pretty fun and will readily take a size 2 clouser on a 200-300 grain sink tip line. San Diego bay is best from a boat or canoe or kayak. Consider talking to the guys at SoCal outfitters located on Sims road in the point loma area. Its a nice shop.
Hope this helps.
Regards
dmac619

Mike C

Postby Mike C » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:01 pm

great,
many thanks

DSFlyman

Postby DSFlyman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Mike, If you like stream/River fishing you may find small streams in the local mountains there, but your never going to use anything larger than a 3 weight. The closest decent river fishing is the Lower Owens outside of Bishop - depending where in SD you are you are probably looking at a 5-6 hour haul.

Curt
Choose the middle number: 1

Postby Curt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 pm

have you thought about surf fishing?

there are a bunch of folk that hit the surf with the flies.

beside the scarcity of users on this board. the fliflicker board is pretty good source of info. and i think the fly shops in SD can help out.

a recent CA flyfisher article had some info on surf fishing.

for fresh water, cuyamaca as mentioned is a good place relatively nearby. also look at the dfg.ca.gov site for trout stocking in the winter here. stockers at local urban locales are a means to get some time out on the water.

eastern sierra, kern river, the western sierra are the closest places for larger waters.

Return to “Southern California”