Wide open fly fishing on the SAR (lots of pics).....

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Skyler
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Wide open fly fishing on the SAR (lots of pics).....

Postby Skyler » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Headed up to the river friday for a bit of creek therapy and to break in my new Okuma Sierra. Fished from the campground to the interpretive area. Long story short, I came, I saw, I caught fish, lol. Lots of fish! It was funny, I was slaying 'em one after another, and the whole time, the bait soakers kept coming up to ask me what I was using for bait, ha ha ha! They all looked at me in disbelief when I showed them the clump of hair tied to a hook that was outfishing their powerbait, lol! I am now quite certain that fly fishing is THE MOST effective approach for creek trout. I've been catching way more per trip this year than I did last year on spinning gear. Plus it's just plain funner, lol.

The fish were of pretty decent quaility too. Biggest of the day was a fat 16"er caught on a brown San Juan Worm. Also caught several 14-15"ers as well. I actually got to use the disc drag on my new reel, he he. Very nice for fighting the larger fish and protecting your tippet. Anyways, I fished for about 4-5 hours, and managed about 30 or so throughout the day on various wet and dry flies. Best producer for the day was a #16 Elk Hair Caddis fished wet on a dead drift. Runner up was a bright orange soft hackle wet fly fished the same way. The San Juan Worm gets the honorable mention, as it seemed to catch the bigger fish.

Mainly caught stockers, but a few little browns decided to play as well (the browns were really into the Irresistable Adams). I C&Red all of 'em, except for a couple of the larger model stockers that had dinner written all over 'em, he he he. Well, here are a few pics. Enjoy!!

Tight lines!

-Skyler
To know others is knowlege,
To know one's self is wisdom.
-Lao Tzu

Return to “Southern California”