Mono Hot Springs

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Dryrod
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Mono Hot Springs

Postby Dryrod » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:12 pm

I usually fish the Eastern Sierras, but I'm planning a trip in October to the Mono Hot Springs area. Any suggestions as to flies one would be using for brownies and rod wt? [note I had goofed and initially stated Western Sierras]
Last edited by Dryrod on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyler

Re: Mono Hot Springs

Postby Skyler » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:30 pm

Dryrod wrote:I usually fish the western Sierras, but I'm planning a trip in October to the Mono Hot Springs area. Any suggestions as to flies one would be using for brownies and rod wt?

I like a 5 wt for just about everything. There are some big fish up there, so i wouldn't mess with the 3wts or anything. As for patterns, I have had great luck with any Adams pattern up there in the Eastern Sierras. The Irresistable Adams is my personal fav. Small Griffith's Gnats are good for the spooky fish and for midge hatches. Also, Stimulators in a gold to orange color are great for reaction bites. Just skate 'em across the surface and wait for the explosion! As for nymphs, I like the Pheasant Tail, Beadhead Prince, and Copper John. Try a nymph dropper on a big dry. You may be pleasantly suprised, he he. Good luck up there.

-Skyler
To know others is knowlege,
To know one's self is wisdom.
-Lao Tzu

Dryrod

Re: Mono Hot Springs

Postby Dryrod » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Thanks Skyler. Fishing Bishop Creek likewise I like a gray Griffith's gnat. Also had good success with a Caddis Elk hair and a Zebra dropper. By the way I was using a two wt and had a lot of fun catching wild browns and a few brookies. Understand that for the most part big brown roam the Hot Springs waters.No two wt there for sure.

Return to “Southern California”