Where can I flyfish for trout in So CA

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:02 am

I am from the east coast and comming to Carlsbad CA in two weeks. Can anyone give me some locations to do a little flyfishing

LARiver
Choose the middle number: 1

SD ...

Postby LARiver » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:41 am

Although I am primarily a trout guy from the trout mecca known as Los Angeles, if I were you, I'd fish the surf or simply surf! Carlsbad's a great place.
:)
B.

KeithBigBear

Postby KeithBigBear » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:17 pm

How long will you be here? Stream or Lake fishing? How many hours do you want to drive? Check out www.fliflicker.com for surf fishing. Lots of it in Carlsbad area. ....K <>< <>< <><

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:33 pm

Only one week..........i would drive a few hours to fish I prefer stream but i wouldn't mind trying lake fishing

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:33 pm

Only one week..........i would drive a few hours to fish I prefer stream but i wouldn't mind trying lake fishing

KeithBigBear

Postby KeithBigBear » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Jim, weekdays or weekend? Do you want to rent a boat if you lake fish or shore fishing. Surf fishing is right where you're at, lake fishing & small stream fishing is within 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Any lake fishing would be best from a boat. Are you looking for dry fly action or nymph/streamer? Email me at kflies@charter.net.....K

Paul Sharman

Trouting near Carlsbad

Postby Paul Sharman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:32 am

If it's trout you want then I would recommend heading up to Doane Pond on top of Mount Palomar out to the east, or Lake Cuyamaca near Julian. Both are very picturesque right now and certainly beat the lakes in town for experience. Doane is very small but can be a lot of fun for a few hours fishing, plus the view going up the mountain is spectacular. Cuyamaca is looking great with the fall colors at the moment - I was there on Saturday morning. Trout were being caught, albeit slowly but the recent reports are good overall.

fflutterffly

Fishing the Kern

Postby fflutterffly » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:03 am

October is fantastic on the Kern. I picked up a 24" brute yesterday & 18" female on dries, a friend picked up a 20". :D Don't worry about the drive when you hit the water you will e well rewarded. And don't forget to stop in the fly shop, Kern River Troutfitters, in Kernville. Guy Jeans is the owner and he and his gang will always give the right 411 on flies and locatin to fit. If you need a guide they are one of the most reasonable services around.

GO TO THE KERN!

SoCalFF

Postby SoCalFF » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:52 pm

There are no trout in SoCal.....they are all extinct! :wink: Though there are some places you can actually fish for trout in the San Diego area, the best area to fish this time of the year is still in the Eastern Sierra along hwy 395. Good-luck!

LADave

Re: Where can I flyfish for trout in So CA

Postby LADave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:49 am

Practically any permanent stream in the San Gabriel or San Bernardino Mountains. Just get a topo. Where you see reservoirs, fish above them. Mostly you will catch small fish. Catch and release, barbless. 'Nuff said.

gunwonk
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Postby gunwonk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:28 am

Has anyone fly fished Santee Lakes? I'm heading out there for Thanksgiving and am thinking about soaking my line fro a while. Any idea what flies they are biting on?

Thx!

Axel202
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Postby Axel202 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:18 am

Hi!
According to my point of view trout into the CA is one of the supreme place for the extraordinary fishing again thanks for your participation.

Return to “Southern California”