Jawbone Creek

Fishing opportunities in SoCal and up 395 to Mammoth
Joe
Choose the middle number: 1

Jawbone Creek

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:45 pm

Greetings all. I've been dying to get back to this watershed; so, my good friend LARiver and I dropped down the trailess Transverse Range hillside to thick vegetation, and cool running water to visit the critters that inhabit this region. Hence the name:

My guess is cat. Any help? We were very pleased to bushwhack downstream a few miles next to an evergrowing headwater stream that made one wonder if the mountain had transformed into a sponge this past winter. After a little over two hours, we made it to our initial landmark, also known as fish barrier numero uno:

A bit of scrambling and climbing took us downstream further to a region inhabited with browns:

It was difficult not to rig up; we even laughed repeating, "Ah, can't we just fish?" The reply was, "No son, not till we get to fish barrier dos; that is when the fun begins!" I took the wet route, while LA displayed his mountaineering skills, quite admirably I may add:

We would still not rig up untill wacking downstream of barrier dos, which brought us to some healthy bows, this one took the hare's ear dropper:

We managed some hard earned bows in this section, with a few scattered smaller browns. Stealth mode was the ticket, as shown here:

As we neared the barrier back upstream, we spotted some hogs, with only one minor short take. No worries, we knew there were browns above; however, not before a few last casts:

Upstream, the browns started to show:

LA had a pig break him off here, under the tree:

Sorry man, I saw the bend. We then explored a no-name tributary for some classic dry sight fishing. What a beautifull little canyon:

Along with some pretty small browns sipping small dries:

We broke down around 4 or so for the long trek back through the trees, brush, horsetails, and ferns of the narrow secluded canyon:

Cheers.....Joe

bugchukr

Postby bugchukr » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:50 am

Is that a #8 Stimulator and I believe I see a #10 Madam X? :wink:

SoCalFF

Postby SoCalFF » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:31 am

Joe,
It looks like you and B-Man were in some beautiful, remote back-country. It still amazes me that we have these wild prestine places to fish right next to such a huge metropolis! Thanks for sharing your adventure. Take-care.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:11 pm

bugchukr wrote:Is that a #8 Stimulator and I believe I see a #10 Madam X? :wink:
Nope, the flies shown are a #14 Yellow Grizzly Wulff and a #14 long shank Rubber Legged Joe's Hopper. :wink:

LARiver

Jawbone Cr.

Postby LARiver » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:44 pm

Ahhhh looks familiar!

I was surprised how few of the usual cuts and bruises I sustained BUT the "training" pack I was using with extra weight contributed to sore legs.

That was FUN !!!!!!!!!

Next time let's do something a little more challenging.

... and here's one back at ya!

;)
B.

SoCalFF

Re: Jawbone Cr.

Postby SoCalFF » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:49 pm

LARiver wrote:Next time let's do something a little more challenging.

B.

Yes, Bernard, I totally agree! I've heard that there is a "uncharted" wild Golden Trout stream with fish up to 30" in it. All you have to do is scale up Mt Whitney, walk down into the Golden Trout Wilderness, fish it to your hearts content, then hike back to the Cottonwood trailhead. Just for fun, do this little trip all in one day! What do you think? :lol:

LARiver

Re: Jawbone Cr.

Postby LARiver » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:48 pm

SoCalFF wrote:
LARiver wrote:Next time let's do something a little more challenging.

B.

Yes, Bernard, I totally agree! I've heard that there is a "uncharted" wild Golden Trout stream with fish up to 30" in it. All you have to do is scale up Mt Whitney, walk down into the Golden Trout Wilderness, fish it to your hearts content, then hike back to the Cottonwood trailhead. Just for fun, do this little trip all in one day! What do you think? :lol:

I'd rather try for the browns that feed on those goldens!
;)
B

Return to “Southern California”