The Santa Ynez (Referencing CAFF April 2005 Issue)

Here's where you can discuss or otherwise comment upon stories that appear in California Fly Fisher magazine.
LARiver
Choose the middle number: 1

The Santa Ynez (Referencing CAFF April 2005 Issue)

Postby LARiver » Sat May 07, 2005 11:46 am

I am acquainted with a handful of So. Cal. fly-fishers who are either fascinated or experienced with this region. Regrettably, I have yet to go explore the SY. Although I love trout, I have fond memories of fun smallmouth fishing on Putah Cr. (Nor. Cal.) as a kid and have been told that the SY can remind one of Putah in warmer times. Anyway, I have had some parts of the SY drainage on my "to do" list for some time.

Now, there may be a technicality within this article that I wish to open up for comment. Within the article, it states that with a permit, one can fish Gibraltar Reservoir. I have been aware of this for some time and executed several calls about 3 months ago to a great assortment of Santa Barbara regional contacts. This included the SB and Montecito water districts. Word was that these permits have been discontinued (by some accounts for as long as 3 years). After reading the recent CAFF article, I decided to make a few more calls including the number printed in the article and the answer was that yes, access is closed.

If anyone has any other info or input. I know I'd like of hear it.

Cheers,
Bernard

Return to “Cal Fly Fisher: Its Articles”