Drop shot flies in California

Here's where you can discuss or otherwise comment upon stories that appear in California Fly Fisher magazine.
Retiredguide
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Drop shot flies in California

Postby Retiredguide » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 am

Regarding bounce nymphing, or drop shotting flies, I was told by one DFW warden that any weight below a hook is illegal per section 2.10- article 4. This was on the lower Feather. Anyone have any input on this?

mem
Antispam: No
Choose the middle number: 4

Re: Drop shot flies in California

Postby mem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:56 pm

here's why: replace flies with treble hooks and you have a set-up or rig commonly used by deviants to snag fish (a method of fishing that entails catching a fish using hooks without the fish having to take the fly or bait with their mouth).

i once came upon two individuals using the described rig with spinning gear while fishing the kenai river in al. as sockeye ran thick up river they would cast across fish at a 90 degree angle and jerk back the line to "snag" fish. after a second fish was foul hooked they were approached by a fly fisherman. only he wasn't. he was a warden posing as a fly fisherman who promptly ticketed the two and confiscated their fish and gear. poetic justice; the law breakers were "snagged." Anglers applauded as they left the area.

i'm not familiar with ca regs regarding this. Michael Malekos

Return to “Cal Fly Fisher: Its Articles”