Rods you'd like to see again

If you gotta jaw about something (or nothing) in particular....
JPShelton
Choose the middle number: 1

Rods you'd like to see again

Postby JPShelton » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:19 pm

Group:

It seems kind of lonely here around the ol' campfire of late. I reckon everybody's out fishin'........

But for those of you who might still be hangin' around, I'll throw out the following question for you to ponder: Are there any discontinued rods that you'd like to see again in your dealer's racks, and if so, what are they, and why?

I'm kind of partial to the old domestically produced Fenwick World Class, myself. A 2 pc, 8.5 foot, 6 -wt version was my first fly rod. Over two decades later, it's still my favorite trout rod, though I always fish it underlined as a 5 -wt. It's a very "sedate" rod that's easy to load and can be cast with a nice, relaxed stroke -yet it generates incredible line speed when you double-haul for distance. It does absolutely everything that I normally need a trout rod to do.

I'd love to see somebody make them again. Surely, I can't be the only angler around the campfire who suffers from pangs of nostalgia every now and then!

-JP
"I fish, therefore I am."

David Lee

Postby David Lee » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:46 am

Hi JPS , I'd LOVE an old (or new ) Sage RPLX 890-3 or the 8 ft. 9 inch RPLX 8 wt. . I have the 790-3 and the 1090-3 and they are the best I've ever used . Also love my "little" Fenwick Eagle 8 1/2 ft. 7 wt. - sweet , sweet little rod ! I have no idea why Sage would discontinue the RPLX - Oh , well :roll: . Regards , David J. Lee

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:34 am

This is casting back a bit in time, but I'd have to say E. C. Powell's hollow-butt bamboo rods. They were wonderful fishing tools, handcrafted here in California.

SoCalFF

Postby SoCalFF » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:09 pm

I'd like to see the old Sage LL Series Rods make a comeback with their original components. Especially in the 279, 379, 389, & 486.

halican

Postby halican » Mon May 23, 2005 1:35 pm

I love my Trilogy . . . one-handed or two, but mostly one. It's great with shooting heads and the extra length helps in more ways than one. Plus it's weird. I wish I'd bought more before they quit.

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon May 23, 2005 2:07 pm

I'm not familiar with the Trilogy. Who makes it? What're its characteristics?

JPShelton

Triolgy

Postby JPShelton » Tue May 24, 2005 11:49 am

Richard:

The Triology was made by G. Loomis. It was the "pretty rod" in their line when it was intro'd, having a green blank and maple insert reel seat at a time when the rest of the Loomis rods were, uh, "purposeful looking." Tech-wise, it used a mix of graphite materials with different modulus of elasticity for the tip, mid, and butt sections,IIRC -hence the "triune" name.

Some of the rods in that line were very sweet casting and fishing tools. They seemed to me to be put together as nicely as any other rod out there at the same price point.

Halican isn't the only one who misses them....

-JP
"I fish, therefore I am."

Troutgetter

Nice old rods

Postby Troutgetter » Tue May 24, 2005 11:55 am

Richard,
The old Powell hollow builts were truly fine old rods. I too wish he was still making them. Though you can get a new hollow built "Powell Style", it's not one of his.
As for composite rods, I always did like those LL's. Sweet rods. They are what pushed me over the edge to make bamboo.
Mike

Return to “Around the Campfire”