Killing the Drudgery of a Long Drive

If you gotta jaw about something (or nothing) in particular....
Richard
Site Admin
Choose the middle number: 1

Re: Radio Stations and music

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:KDVS 90.3 is the UC Davis college station.

By chance I listened to KDVS while in Sac last week for the ISE show, and enjoyed it. One hopes that UC Merced, when it finally gets going, will host a station as interesting as those in Davis and Berkeley. It'd certainly add to the pleasure of driving into the central and southern Sierra....
Last edited by Richard on Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:37 pm

Robert Ketley wrote:I am an old fart and have the following to keep me company:

Siouxise and the Banshees
The Slits
The Furs
The Clash
The Stranglers
Magazine
PIL
The Ramones
Devo

No Wire? No Buzzcocks? And hey, as one old fart to another, I'm impressed you find PIL listenable.

Robert Ketley

Postby Robert Ketley » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:52 pm

Richard:

Yes, Wire and the Buzzcocks, too. I gravitated to Magazine from the Buzzcocks because I prefered Howard DeVoto's sinister lyrics :twisted: . Permafrost and Song from Under The Floorboards had some really good lines.

There is some pretty good Bhangra/Desi out there for those folks who care to expand their horizons beyond Shania Twain, KISS and Led Zeppelin......
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:28 pm

Robert Ketley wrote:I gravitated to Magazine from the Buzzcocks because I prefered Howard DeVoto's sinister lyrics :twisted: . Permafrost and Song from Under The Floorboards had some really good lines.

Rob, I suspect we're starting to bore some visitors with this small talk about obscure bands long gone. Let's perhaps drop the subject unless someone else wants to carry the torch. But I will mention that "Song from Under the Floorboards" remains one of my faves, although I listened to it recently and found myself annoyed with the synthesizer. There are some things about the '70s and '80s that I do not miss....

epzamora

Postby epzamora » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:49 am

can't bore me. i picked up joe strummer's last effort on my way to the merced near el portal a couple of months ago. i was late in leaving town because i couldn't find it anywhere... but finally success! and it was worth it.

also, clash's sandinista, london calling
ramones!
the replacements
the cars, psychedelic furs, echo, etc etc etc.
80s RULE. well, some of it...
plus buena vista social club stuff
too many to list really.

but then i also DO like the eagles once in a blue moon, and the BEE GEES!!!! :lol:

eric
fresno, ca.

Richard
Site Admin

Highway 99 Revisited

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:17 pm

Somewhere back in this thread I mused about how nice it'd be if UC Merced, when built, had a radio station that played eclectic, interesting music to shorten the drive into the central Sierra. Until that time, though, CDs in the deck will have to do -- and I just came across a couple of slightly old ones that, as compilations, bridge the '60s through the '90s, and with their country themes merge well with the expansive farms and ranches east of the Diablo Range.

The first compilation, Return of the Grevious Angel (1999), is a tribute to the long-gone and still-missed Gram Parsons, with a wide range of artists covering a baker's dozen songs. Artists you'd expect, like Emmylou Harris and Chris Hillman, but also the Pretenders, the Cowboy Junkies (doing a knock-out "Ooh Las Vegas"), Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Elvis Costello, Gillian Welch, Wilco, the Mavericks, and Beck (whose effort is perhaps the weakest of the bunch). Years ago I turned away from the "California Rock" -- you know, the Eagles and Doobies and such -- that my friends and I had listened and danced to back in the early '70s. This CD made me realize that some of that music remains timeless.

Also timeless are the country songs on a compilation prepared for the Redford film, The Horse Whisperer (1998), a report I still haven't seen. This, as far as I know, is not actually a soundtrack CD, in that I've been told its music does not play in the flick. The artists here tend to be a touch more traditional than those on the Gram Parson's tribute (Don Walser, for example, tosses yodels into his "Big Ball's in Cowtown"), but there's crossover too, with Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, the Mavericks, Gillian Welch, and Steve Earle appearing on both. Nothing "rocks," which makes this a darn far cry from what's coming out of Nashville these days. Thank god.
Last edited by Richard on Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Flyjunkie

Postby Flyjunkie » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:06 pm

O.K.....

I have been watching this thread for awhile...I figure i might as well post my Choices for making a long distance haul to a favourite water go by smoothly....

1.) Anything by PETER GABRIEL..without a doubt my Favourite Musician/Performer... Been a Fan since about the time he left Genesis. A personal favourite Album of his I recommend to anyone for traveling music is his PASSION soundtrack CD to the "Last Temptation of Christ" Wonderful Soundscapes...

2.) Anything by MUSLIMGAUZE.. very obscure ambient style music by a single person, the Late Bryn Jones. He was an extremely prolific recorder..something like 110 recordings before he died in 1999. He recorded soo much stuff the last 2 years of his life they have continued to release New stuff from him...Sources say about 30 albums still to be released. I currently own 39 different CDs of Muslimgauze.. just really wonderful Music that is very deversed over the course of it's Maker's career.... Check it out...

3.) GENESIS (Gabriel Era).. sorry to anyone who enjoys post Gabriel Genesis, but they just lost the Magic within 2 albums of his Leaving. The 5 members up until 1975 made the Magic of their music... after that they just turned into Commercial Garbage in the '80s....

4.) THE GATHERING... Anneke, the beautiful Singer of this Band from Holland, has one of the Most beautiful Voices in the Music world.. The Band started out doing Black Metal but have evolved into a Progressive Metal form.. very hard edged, but alot of sutleness as well...

5.) BRIAN ENO... Anything he has released over his Long & varied career is always enjoyed...Great to see Richard is enjoying "Taking Tiger Mountian..." I am currently spinning "Before & After Science" to & from work.... a highly under estimated Musical Master....

6.) FRANK ZAPPA... what can you say about the person who put out such classics as "Yellow Snow", "My Guitar wants to kill your Mama", "Muffin Man", "Dumb all over" & of course "Valley Girl"... I would recommend his "Shut up & Play your Guitar" triple CD collection...all instermental & shows beyond a doubt that Frank was a Wizard on the Guitar....

I also enjoy the following Bands/Musicians:
Steve Roach, Rapoon, Damage Manual, Killing Joke, Skinny Puppy, Yello, Gary Neuman, Vidna Obmana, The Legendary Pink Dots, Robert Fripp, The Residents, Viridian Sun, Lustmord, Vir Unus, Zoviet France, Nocturnal Emissions....
There are others, but these always seem to travel with me often.....

DEAN.... 8)
"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:51 am

Back in the late seventies I drove across the country (unfortunately, not for fishing), and when I hit Wyoming I had Brian Eno's "Another Green World" in the tape deck. Imagine an evening sun burnishing sky and sagelands and an empty two-lane highway to a flinty gold, while far off on the southern horizon a long gray smudge defined a slowly approaching rainstorm. That I still remember that particular moment after all these years clearly says something about the music and how well it fit with the setting.

Earl

Air America

Postby Earl » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:26 pm

Listening to talk radio is a good way to kill the drudgery of long drives, and with Air America starting up, ALL political persuasions-not just the Right-are now represented over the airwaves. Because it's so new, Air America is still hard to find. In California it's on KCAA and KBLA, both in the southern half of the state, but it's also on XM radio and can be listened to via the web at www.airamericaradio.com (hard to do, though, in a car). The O'Franken Factor, with Al Franken, airs from 9 am to noon, and I recommend it if you like Al's brand of humor.

Earl in Arroyo Grande

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:22 am

I've just learned that KVMR, the nonprofit station headquarted in Nevada that was mentioned by Ralph Cutter earlier in this thread, will be installing a repeater on Mt Pluto, near Truckee, sometime this June. So expect to have more options for eclectic listening this summer when traveling to or through the region. I think it'll be positioned at 105.1 on the FM dial....

halican

tedium

Postby halican » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:53 am

Color me embarassed . . . I am surprised, which must mean I unfairly lamped CFFers for Roger Whittaker fans. Yet Richard Anderson digs Lucinda Williams. Robert Ketley digs the Stranglers and Siouxsie. This is good.

Twice a year or more I drive from Sac to Missoula and back across two of the country's great radio-free zones, the great basin and the Idaho lava fields. I take books on tape, preferably unabridged, preferably the Stephen Maturin/Jack Aubrey books read by the guy with the brogue, plus Los Straitjackets Christmas album, Delbert McClinton, and Reverend Horton Heat. The Heat records are invariably poorly produced, which makes them a perfect match for the road noise in my truck cab. If I turn the tape way up I can't hear the pinging, either.

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:30 pm

Books-on-tape is a great suggestion, H, and I'll tweak it by adding that Patrick O'Brian's The Unknown Shore kept me well occupied for much of the drive from Cassel to Truckee a couple of autumns ago. And BTW, for readers of this thread unfamiliar with O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series of Napoleonic seafaring novels (which does not include The Unknown Shore), be forwarned that they are seriously addictive. Start with the first, Master and Commander -- which was recently made into a fairly good film that deviates wildly but not horribly from the book. If you like it, then feed the monkey.

Curt

Postby Curt » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:07 pm

this thread is funny. i think we need an age check.....me, 41

Fav driving music

U2, especially, the Joshua Tree album; Don Henley; some BB King, Wynton Marsalis, Sting (Police and early solo, his new stuff makes me puke), EWF (Earth, Wind and Fire), Tower of Power, The Ramones (hey, it keeps you up), PIL (to borrrow from someone earlier), Boston, Cheap Trick, some current rock- Puddle of Mudd, Linkin Park, Coldplay, Blink 182

Damn, makes we want to drive across the country again.

Return to “Around the Campfire”