Czech Republic report

What, you want to fish outside of California?!
Paul Sharman
Choose the middle number: 1

Czech Republic report

Postby Paul Sharman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:31 pm

I got the chance to fish the Upper Tepla while on a business trip recently. This is in western Bohemia on the Czech/German border. Great timing in terms of the fall colors up in the mountains and the headwaters we fished were the perfect size for my little 4 weight Cabelas stowaway.
We fished hoppers upstream and found plenty of willing Grayling in the chill water but only one native Brown was willing to rise. If I had had another day I would have probably put a beadhead on but as it was the Grayling provided plenty of action on the dry and so that is what we did. My guide and I ended up with about 30 fish or so between us. My first Grayling and they were beautiful with tinges of red on the fins and body spots echoing the colors in the leaves floating downstream.
Wish I had the chance to go back but it is unlikely. The whole country is teeming with trout streams and rivers and they even publish a book that highlights each stream, river and lake and what fish you can expect to catch. It's like a Thomas Brothers with the water highlighted for you.
We also tried spinning for Zander (like a meaner Walleye), Pike and Perch but with no luck.
Paul.

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:57 pm

Paul, any observations on how fly fishing differs in the Czech Republic versus California?

Paul Sharman

Czech fly fishing

Postby Paul Sharman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:54 am

Hi Richard,
Weird - I thought I had replied already - oh well.
Actually I can't say we really tried any local techniques at all. I went with the knowledge of Czech nymphing but the stream we fished was not like the rushing streams and rivers this method was developed on. My guide was adamant that dry flys (hoppers) were the way to go and it proved to be true for the Grayling. If I had had more time (we were supposed to fly fish 2 days but there was a mix up with licences) I would have tried nymphing in the streamier sections out of interest to see if the trout were keener to take a fly there. As it was I only got that one brown I mentioned which with the cold water was not that suprising I guess. Still as I was gathering story material I was happy catching and photographing the Grayling - if you're interested I can share a few with you if you'd like.
Tight lines
Paul

mca0766

Postby mca0766 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:38 pm

I'd like to see a few photos, Mr. Sharman. I hear the Czech republic is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Nice seeing more San Diegans on this board. :wink:

Marc A

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:49 pm

Yep, a few shots would be nice, Paul.

Paul Sharman

Photos

Postby Paul Sharman » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:58 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ ... W_2210.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ ... W_2231.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ ... G_2228.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ ... W_2209.jpg

A typical countryside castle and town in Western Bohemia
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ ... G_2238.jpg

A view of Prague from the hilltop palace
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ ... G_2307.jpg

edit : OK Richard - what is the key to posting pics on this forum type please so as to see the pics and not the links? Thanks, Paul

danmcmartin

Postby danmcmartin » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:28 pm

Paul, awesome pictures. I love that castle! I wish we still had grayling up in Lobdell Lake. Too bad they were lost. Anyway, looks like an amazing place to fish!

By the way, you can post the pics by using the IMG tags. You can either type the tags or there is a button in the reply window. The link should look like this:

[img]insert%20link%20here[/img]

Click the button once, type or paste you pictures link then click the button again to close the tag. Your picture should appear like this:

Yes, that is me playing with my camera's timer at Hot Creek. :wink:

Paul Sharman

Postby Paul Sharman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:57 pm

Thanks Dan - here we go!

A typical countryside castle and town in Western Bohemia

A view of Prague from the hilltop palace

danmcmartin

Postby danmcmartin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:55 pm

Very nice. I took the time to look at them again. Those pictures go right to the middle of the fishing part of my brain :D

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:31 pm

Paul, looks like you spent too much time sight-seeing! :D

Were you angling for wild fish or for stockers? I'm still intrigued as to how the sport differs btwn the Czech Republic and California. Are fly patterns similar? Tackle? Tactics?

Paul Sharman

Tactics

Postby Paul Sharman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:46 pm

We used standard upstream dry-fly Richard on my 4 weight Cabelas stowaway. We fished hoppers all day and the fallback flys we never used were all standard patterns too. Looking at my notes my guide said his go-to patterns are usually March Browns and Olive Duns as well as Black and Brown Gnats on top and then Gammarus nymphs, and pretty much any gold or glasshead nymph too such as Hares Ears. etc.
It would have been nice to have had the chance to try the well-known Czech nymphing techinques and some local flies but from what I learned this water is mainly in the south of the country and we were up in the north-west corner.
The stream has a natural head of Grayling and Brown Trout, but is managed as a hatchery in the headwaters and so is supplemented with stock also further downstream and with Rainbows too I was told but we never saw any.
Will you be at the Marriotts show this weekend by the way?

Richard
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanks for the addendum, Paul.

The Marriott's booth will be staffed by Rick and Barbara Bean. I'm going to be at home in Truckee this coming weekend, repairing a chimney.

Return to “Out of State”